[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Welcome to the group! Well I could help shed some light over carvon or enertion kit. I believe you’re weight is quite common so it should be okay with any of your selection. However how about terrain wise? Many hills? Big hills or small hills that does matter. You cant go wrong with satelite configuration (belt wheels etc) as they are proven many times with many builds works successfully. However if you dare to try, hub motor is sleeker and easier to build. Personally I am building new one with dual hub motor as I dont trust single hub motor torque.

@laurnts Thanks for the reply!

Not many hills. Most of the usage is going to be on flat land. I will be traveling 6 miles each way and i think theres only a few spots where there is 20% incline. Mostly to get out of bike/skatetrail that runs underneath the highway to get to work.

So does this mean that the single hub motor wont have enough torque to propel a 210lb guy with a backpack up 25% incline? Would you recommend going dual if going hub configuration?

I recall in your build you used an Enertion Single Motor Build but planned on using CarvOn duals. How did that go?

I’m thinking at least a 63mm motor with 8s or 10s at least…if you are gonna use one motor…a two motor set up is best for hilly rides…less chance of burning out a motor with two motor set up and more traction to keep the momentum going on a long stretch or steep incline … Plus on the way back down hill… A more solid base if you aren’t bombing the hill and trying to stay in control on the way down … Just my two cents

Might want to also look into the 12mm or 15mm belt/pulley options for single motor + hills, to decrease chances of belt slippage. At least that’s what I’ve heard around the forum boards.

To be honest I don’t have Carvon Hub Motor tested yet, but if you ever test the torque of these brushless outrunner for the first time you will be surprised. I believe you can go with single motor belt - wheels setup. As long as you don’t start from static, I suppose 20% hill grade shouldn’t be an issue. The best part of motor belt - wheels set (satelite configuration) is that if you ever feel the need of more torque, you can add another motor, esc, mount kit at ease.

You really should take into account the 20% hill grade. Sometimes the problem is not the 20% degree of incline, but how long do you need to climb that hill, do you start by climbing hill and does the wheels have enough traction to do 20% hill.

My board could carry my 60kg weight to about 30% incline, however the chances are that the wheels will slip time to time when I make turn during climbing. I found that loose of traction inconvenience and dangerous. Braking downhill with single motor also seems to put alot of stress to the motor, mount kit, belt and wheels.

Hello Everyone, My name is Tim, and am currently a master in a lot of different fields, electronical engineering (specializing in robotics and microcontrollers), mechanical engineering, fabrication (from metal working to wood working), and many other topics. I currently am interested in building an electric skateboard because I plan on moving to Chicago fairly soon (because college); and want an electric skateboard as a means of transportation around the city. This will be my second board, however my first was a completely overpowered mountain board, and would like to make this board more practical. So the current setup I am looking at was… -2 4s 10000mAh lipos in series -a single turnigy sk3 63xx motor (unsure which size to use at this point) -a VESC -and a custom controller designed around the arduino platform

The only thing I am currently unsure about is the proper gear ratio and what way is best/cheapest for mounting the motor. If anyone has any insight on either the setup or mounting the motor any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

@deadlyrobot310

Check enertion @onloop , DIY skateboard @torqueboards and @psychotiller … First three that popped in my head … There maybe a few others…but these should fill your needs

Best of luck :zap::metal:t2:

Welcome @deadlyrobot310. @barajabali and I are also from the Chicago area. Maybe we could set up a group ride once you have your e-board finished. Not sure how much you weigh, but If you’re running a single motor setup, I’d go with an sk3 192kv 6374. Unfortunately they’re out of stock in all of HK’s warehouses. The Tacon Big Foot 160 245kv 6364 is also a good choice. It’s a bit smaller, but people on the forum have mentioned they have more torque than the sk3’s, and also the kv rating is more appropriate for 8s. For the gear ratio, people tend to go from a 36:12 to a 36:16. 36:12 having more torque with a lower top speed and less teeth being meshed into the motor pulley, and 36:16 being lower torque with a higher top speed.

1 Like

basically always go 16/36

1 Like

I think it really depends on your weight especially on a single drive, but I probably wouldn’t go down to 36:12 since there isn’t enough teeth being meshed into the motor pulley resulting in skipping. B & B Manufacturing’s Belt Length Calculator recommends have no less than a 36:15 ratio because they say having less than 6 teeth in mesh with the smaller pulley isn’t suitable for most applications, but I’ve ridden a 36:14 from Enertion, and it was fine.

What school are you going to? UIC FLAMES!

Hi, Ben here from the UK. Just bought a knackered eight ball carver. There were quite a few broken connections so re soldered these and then discovered the batteries were shot. Ive replaced these with hobby king 3 cell 5000mah 20c batteries and it seems like it is ready to go. Zipping up and down the lounge while i wait for the weather to break… Now stumbled upon this site and others and seen that what I have now is rather clunky so going to lurk and look into build something a little more streamlined… Cheers

1 Like

I actually was planning on either going to UIUC or MSOE for a while. But now I have switched my major from engineering so now I am going to Moody to be a youth pastor. #bigchange

1 Like

Ok thank you for the info. One question though. I am a little overweight (around 220 pounds) would that drastically affect the gear ratio due to the need for a little more torque?

Also I would like to be able to hit around 25 mph as a top speed. If I need to get a more powerful motor or even jump up to a 10s or 12s setup I will. I am a bit on the heavy side and want to make sure I will have enough torque but still hit those speeds.

Take a look at the Electric Longboards for Larger Riders Thread.

Hi everyone!

I’m in college and I currently bike everywhere. It gets pretty tiring if I want to go home then go back to campus for the gym. So I’m now reading all I can about electric skateboards! I was originally just going to buy a Yuneec E-GO, but the speed limitation and weak motor worries me.

Most of my town is flat, but there is this one S-curve slope that is kind of steep. I’m mainly looking to build a commuting board with a range of at least 20 miles and top speed of 15-20mph. I weight about 150 pounds and want to keep my budget under $1000, but ideally around $700 or less. Has anyone built a board with these specs in mind already?

Yes its totally possible with that budget, even better if you already have a longboard your self to begin with. 20 miles is not that long and 20mph is not fast to most people here while 150pounds is not considered to be heavy. So if you ask possible or not, it’s very much possible.

20mph speed = 6s - 10s battery build 20miles = 10AH on 6s and about 10s 8AH - 10AH (enertion space cell would cover both speed and distance) Use single mount motor build, SK3 motor or RSpec motor or any motor 250kv or lower

1 Like
2 Likes

hey there, built my first electric longboard last week - a loaded dervish with ncr18650bd battery packs. made a short build video about it which was a lot of fun. hope you like it!

5 Likes