[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Welcome everyone

2 Likes

Yeah - this is the most upsetting thing about esk8…travelling with them on a plane is an absolute nightmare, regardless of your battery arrangement. But, it makes complete sense given the potential risks!

3 Likes

Hello,I live in Beautiful Sunny San Diego and just got my first E Board. I have the the Laotie H2C for which I bought mostly for street cruising until…I took it off roading and saw just how awesome this board performs on trails and dirt roads. I’m 57 yrs old and super active in Martial Arts, Hiking, Biking, RC Bashing, Drone flying(Camera drones and FPV) E Boarding and Off Road E Scooting(Laotie ES 18 60v 5600w) . Lets Play :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome @brattmann. Good to hear your knees are still keeping up with ya.

2 Likes

I really think modern planes should have a special cargo hold for battery containing luggage. it would be divided into sections so to prevent spread of fire, and also would have fire suppression system designed for battery fires.

Would cost too much I guess.

Then to also remove the capacity limits there would have to be some kind of certification or someshit… idk man.

2 Likes

I really think it’s an overated risk considering some of the packs I’ve thrown together and sent to wherever. I’m not a battery builder. But I did stay in a Holliday Inn express.

2 Likes

When Lithium burns it makes oxygen, so is near impossible to put out. Pull up a seat and watch it burn is about all you can do.

The likelihood is very low (short circuit or puncture to a cell), but the risk of bringing down the plane or burning out the Courier Depot on the off-chance if it did happen is pretty real.

That said, I hate that we live in a world where to rules are made to prevent the dumbest person from doing the dumbest shit. We have been bubble-wrapped for our own safety.

2 Likes

It’s time to remove the wrapping and let evolution run it’s course. Your right about the fire. Full submergence is the only way to extinguish. So I guess best case scenario is to only fly over water.

1 Like

can you expand on how creating oxygen is linked to not being able to be put out

1 Like

This is called the fire triangle, the concept is, you need all three to make fire. image

Fire-fighting tehcniques involve removing one of those three things so the fire cannot continue.

Water extinguishers work by cooling the fire, so it cannot continue. Other types (such as Foam and CO2 Fire extinguishers), work by starving oxygen to the fire.

Since Lithium Cells go into ‘thermal runaway’ when they short (making heat), and also the reaction makes oxygen, so there is not an effective way to put them out if they are failing catastrophically (due to short circuit or puncture).

Even F1 cars have a place they go to let them burn out, and those things cost millions.

3 Likes

thanks @Louis thats really interesting.

why is oxygen produced though in lithium fires?

1 Like

Hey I keep noticing lots of peoples real first and last names along with their usernames. Is mine showing up?

I think those should be hidden by default. Looks like more than a few of you havent gone thru your profile settings. I also see them in my email notifications.

I’m not exactly sure, it’s something I learned when doing safety courses on Li-ion vehicle packs at work. I imagine it only applies in ‘worst-case thermal run-away’ when times are bleakest, but that is the situation Health & Safety plan for.

I’m not really a chemist, so I won’t try to wing this one… Oh go on then, I don’t take much convincing to have an opinion. So most Li-ion ends up with even numbers of Oxygen molecules on the end of it: [Lithium iron phosphate] (LiFePO4), (LiMn2O4), [lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide] (LiNiMnCoO2)

So as the reaction happens, we get lots of heat and everything starts to ‘break down’, it begins to shed elements as the molecular structure can change and atoms can hop around to make new connections, this due to the extreme energy release of a rapidly discharging cell. This ‘break down’ releases Phosphate, Oxygen and probably some other nasty gasses too.

So basically the ‘science’ melts itself into the tiny atomic pieces it used to be before we started skating on them.

That’s the best I’ve got for you, have a great day :wink:

2 Likes

I think some folks don’t care.

1 Like

Far too many of them dont care about cybersecurity. Until their bank accounts get hacked or ransomware finds its way into their oil pipeline infrastructure.

Its a sad state of affairs, really.

Sounds like a fun life you’ve got there. Always good to hear of a fellow San Diegan

1 Like

My actual name is plastered all over the internet, from LinkedIn, to blog posts, awards, school news, social media, Youtube, etc.

Having it on an esk8 forum is the least of my concerns. I am absolutely anal about password security though and none of them are less than 12 digits of randomly generated characters

2 Likes

or actually if you use the 2300mah A123 cells you could go 21S1P 7.59Wh x 21 = 159Wh

1 Like

The newer m1B cells from A123 / LithiumWerks are 2500mAh

3 Likes

As long as mine isnt showing up I’m good.

If you’re looking for lifepo4 26650 cells, battery hookup has new 3800mah cells for around $2 per cell. I bought some a while back but dont have a way to capacity test them.

3 Likes