Is a BMS required if I'm using Lipo batteries with VESC

I am currently using this pack but more as a spare pack because i have to be careful with it…

i can charge it with a balance charger and it will balance it but when i ride hard it will drift very fast…

You got me wrong! I have no BMS yet but i am a huge fan of a BMS because it is protecting the cells!
<br

That is not a draw back! It is a huge advantage over a balance charger.

I do agree!

Why? Could you explain it a bit further?

[quote="jrpwit, post:18, topic:6552"] I have noticed that the cells hardly come unbalanced at all even after they are fully discharged [/quote] Mhm... One of my 6S Zippy Flightmax 8Ah is drifting... Since one cell dropped down to 3.3V while the rest is at 3.8V - 3.9V this cell (3.3V) is always drifitng very fast. I can ride with this pack but not 60% of its charge....otherwise this cell would be completly damaged!

Hi, I need some help. Do you know anywhere I can get a good BMS. My setup is a 10S (2x 5000mah 5S lipos). I want it for charging. I dont know how discharging helps because I assume that the cells are discharged when you ride the board right? Of course I dont want to spend a lot…

Thanks

maybe you could unsolder it and ride with a cell less or add a replacement cell. i have a couple laying around.

One less is a draw back but a possibility. Replacing is only valid if the IR is the same or it will get unbalanced soon again.