Is it time to buy a 3D printer?

I disagree. I have a 300x300x400 printer, and rearly find myself using the full build volume. In terms of print quality a smaller print bed will outperform the larger one if all the other components are the same. So if you dont see yourself using the full build volume anytime, i would have gone with the ender 3 vs cr-10.

Ender 3 is under $175, might just pull the trigger

Thats another point stl files are hopeless for reediting, esp complex models. RAW cad formats would be much more useful. But hardly anyone shares these. I think thingiverse is a great idea, its just proved useless for me.

1 Like

If I was looking to buy a 3D printer at the moment I would go for Prusa i3 MK3. I know it’s a little expensive but it’s such a nice printer with very cool features and great support from both Prusa and community.

On a tight budget the Creality Ender 3 is a very good option. Best that you could hope for around 200 bucks.

If you want a printer with bigger build volume then go for either Jgaurora A5, CR-10 or Tevo Tornado. All have their pros and cons, cost around $300 and are similarly sized. Watch some reviews and decide what features you prefer. A few notes about the Tevo Tornado: it’s very similar to CR-10 but has much better heated bed. And that matters a lot especially when the bed is so big. But with the Tornado you definitely need 8-diode smoothers.

I’ve seen and used quite a few printers. I went the route of designing and making the printer myself. Wouldn’t recommend that unless you really, really like that kind of stuff :sweat_smile: My goal was to save some money and you know how that works with DIY stuff…

Here’s a crappy pic of it from some time ago when it was almost ready from it’s second rebuild/design. Now it’s a bit different looking with nice LEDs but don’t have a photo :confused:

20180304_141158

By the way, authentic E3D products (like E3D Volcano hotend) are the best upgrades I could ever recommend to any 3D printer. Also TMC2100 drivers are very nice on a Ramps/Arduino Mega based controller.

2 Likes

Pulling the trigger on the Ender 3 after all my research today. $185 shipped with a roll of filament, cant really pass up that deal.

2 Likes

Nice. Where did you decide to order from?

Gearbest has it $170, with $15 roll add on. It’s from US warehouse had EU plug, but it’s just an IEC cable to replace.

I have a practically new Creality CR10 with 4 rolls of ABS and a roll of PLA that I’m selling. I only used it like twice , still have the box and all items , just don’t have time for it … make me an offer

1 Like

Im actually wondering about the ender 3 on amazon which had an upgraded tempered glads bed. Is the extra couple of dollars worth it?

Comgrow Ender-3X Creality 3D Printer Upgraded Version with Tempered Glass and Five Nozzles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DYL9B2S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_eciLBb5VD5QGG

MPCNC uses belts, what does it cut? no aluminium or just very light cuts i assume:/

you can always buy and add a glas sheet in the end to clamp on your heated bed. if you have glass cutting buisness near you its probably just a few bucks. tough amazon has nice support and fast shipping (if its not 3rd party chinese seller).

1 Like

Yeah I do like the warranty and support via amazon. The price is about $250 already though.

Are you able to reliably print nylon or abs on it? I know pla is common but wanted the durability of the harder filaments for remotes. Kinda busted ip my current remote which does work but having a tough material that lasts longer is what I’m looking for

no you will need a heated chamber for those plastics, everything other than pla and petg will be a pita without.

1 Like

Ok good to know thanks! I reckon there are mods that allow heated chambers to be swapped in for the ender 3? I think @agniusm prints his n.e.s.e. Modules in petg on the ender 3 but i could be mistaken on that

petg and pla are fine without. but you can do already a lot with these two. petg is similar to abs just less warping and a bit more brittle (and more stringing…). but for example i printed axle clamps on my mtb in petg, and they are still holding up. petg is ideal for the nese modules i think, very high heat resistence (for a 3d print at least)

building a enclosure should always possible for any printer.

if you didn’t already, download slic3er or ideamaker(found recently and very like it) and try them out. it’s all you need for printing software wise;)

one last thing, personally i would buy the cheaper one from gearbest

1 Like

Ender 3 is also a good printer! I have him for a few weeks

1 Like

Can’t complain about the gt2b mods which available online :sweat_smile: But I agree most things just work out more fine if you design it by your own

I‘m happy with my tevo tornado It’s 299€ with a heated print bed and 300x300x400 print space. Had some issues with printing nylon but for petg it’s working great.

3 Likes

Another option would be cr-10 mini, I got it for $300 and like it so far.

i found them too weak, so again had to design my own, i could stamp on mine and wouldn’t break :rofl: