Is my VESC fried?

2.18 is version that is on the VESC

thats strange motor should at least make noise. i think it’s faulty vesc

Let me try that, thx

700, 800, 900 did not work

That is worth a try. Do I re flash with same firmware (basically re-load the software on the chip)?

srry to hear that. u can up the detection amp up to 10 but if the motor doesnt make any noise you should contact vesc seller.

no heat this thing is a cold fish

The only thing remotely warm are the LED’s flashing red

usually the led is blue when on

I guess I have to pay my dues with this hobby. I was hoping to get this thing on the road. I need to talk to Dexter.

You are correct. Thx

How do I re flash firmware? Where can I download firmware? My VESC might need a re-boot.

The firmware file is very small. pm me your email address and I will email it to you You have Vesc 4.12 correct? Yes you do, it’s right on the package.

BTW, your absolute max is too low at 80a. It should be set between 130-150a I run mine at 140a. The absolute max is a last resort over current protection in case the soft back off strategies fail. You really don’t want to activate the absolute max protection.

2 Likes

I know I read some of DIYs VESCs had defective thermistors on them a while ago, so that’s a possibility, I’ll put a gif below of how to check faults in BLDC tool. You should be able to run a duty cycle or something from the menu on the left and it’ll throw faults without a motor connected if it’s a defect on the VESC itself. The red light should blink if a fault code is thrown and here’s how to check them. I typed “faults” after misspelling it and hit enter

@LAVAMAN when did you get your VESC? Order #? PM me.

Thanks for this information. That is a possibility. I will wait to hear back from TB. I sent him my order # so he can check if I got a bad one. If not I can follow your advise and see if I can get a fault code from the BDLC tool or maybe re flash the VESC. Maybe it got hung up because I tried to do a motor detect with wheel and belt attached.

1 Like

Thanks again for your assistance. After I hear back from TB, I will plan my next attempt to fix before ordering another VESC. Fault codes and firmware are next on the list of things to try.

1 Like

Too much drag on the motor during detection would cause an over current fault, not an over temp fault. It would probably take more than having the wheel and belt on to cause that fault unless maybe if your using a 15mm belt and it’s too tight. Still, I think it’s best to detect the motor with the shaft spinning free.

I tried to do a motor detect again with the following results. When I first connected the VESC and powered it up there were no flashing red LED’s. I double checked my settings and did a read configuration and then it started flashing red again. I went to terminal screen and typed in faults (as instructed and got the following). seems to be the same issue, I am just not sure why.