Is this setup good?

What’s your budget?

around 300 usd

Sorry to burst your bubble but you’re not going to build any decent board with that budget. I think others have mentioned already: buy cheap buy twice

• if you want to get riding now I’d suggest picking up a used meepo/wowgo/ownboard, and save up for a bigger and better build.
  • during that time you can get some basic experience and do reading on how to make your first diy GOOD.
2 Likes

mmmm I like this idea for budget builds, as long as the motors and pulleys are decent quality, I see nothing wrong with using this as a mechanical system. Do you have personal experience with the Flipsky one?

I know they make good products in other places so I don’t doubt that it is decent, I am just curious.

I’m no expert but I like ownboard and I’m ordering a new one to hold me over till I can buy a trampa or kaly ownboards a good choice and at 25 mph plenty fast enough for most 2 hour charge time, and 10 mile range https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-skateboard-Ownboard-W1S/372654020538?hash=item56c3e917ba:g:a~kAAOSw4A9ctq9i

I’m going to use a ownboard esc and 6s battery, seems like people think they are good. Looking for a motor, think I’l get a a single belt motor setup (because it’s cheaper). What do you think?

Would this work with a dual Belt Drive setup? Ownboard Metal case & ESC case with ESC(with lcd display), Assembled

Just a heads up that particular esc (not the one with the belt kit) is preprogrammed for hub motors only. Also that 6s battery is a bit overpriced for the performance. I’m pretty sure the Ownboard ESC only operates on 10s.

Here’s the reality of it:

• Ownboard BELT kit w/ Vanguard ~ $750
  • Ownboard HUB kit w/Vanguard ~ $600
  • Flipsky single belt drive w/Vanguard ~$500-550

If you are trying to build a DIY with the sole purpose of saving money you might be better served by a pre-built. By all means shop around Flipsky, Meepo, Wowgo, Ownboard to see if you can find a deal combo that checks your boxes. Drop the vanguard deck and you might be able to get a decent board in the $400 dollar range if you buy the right combination of parts. Good luck!

1 Like

where could I get a decent battery, And how do I choose the belt drive esc?

What quantifies as decent? We don’t know what you’re trying to get from this or what the end goal is.

It sounds like you’ve got to do more research before jumping into this.

Sorry for being unclear, I am looking for a 6s3p battery

The voltage on a 6s pack is quite underwhelming for most. However I believe torqueboard sells what you’re looking for.

The only belt drive hobbywing is the ownboard one. I believe you can ask them for it but they don’t recommend pairing it with different motors since it’s not programmable. The cheap generic esc has a belt drive option but its pretty garbage. Or get a VESC.

Look at Meepo, Ownboard, Wowgo for 10s2p batteries or get someone here to make one for you.

I contacted them to ask about the belt drive hobbywing esc and they said that they don’t sell it separate as it is programmed specifically for their belt drive kit.

I’m not 100% sure that they are the same ones that I have but they look identical. Mine come off a random chinese board (Paean H2B). The quality seems pretty good. The guy that I bought this board from said that he put 20-30 miles on it and they still look brand new (minus a few scratches). The only possible issue that I see is that you can’t adjust the tension on the belts. They seem fine as is but that is something to be aware of.

I’ve ordered those ESCs that I mentioned so hopefully I’ll have a nice build in a few weeks :smiley:

Hm yeah that sounds about right. Maybe I will try it out on a small board one day

I think I have my final setup:

https://www.ownboard.net/collections/parts-accessories-for-electric-skateboard/products/ownboard-w1-kit-1?variant=12558426996778

If you want any decent range I wouldn’t go for that battery, also shipping on both of them separate is probably going to make it more expensive than just buying the battery from ownboard as well.

Where should you parts then?

Here’s a list with some-