Jenso Style Direct Drive... For Street Boards!

That is a really good question, I would love to know the answer myself. As I said a little earlier, this is an EXTREMELY quick and imprecise mockup of how everything would look

Itā€™s a start, if I get some free time tomorrow I will see if I can do some quick math to see what range we can expect to work with

Iā€™m just a measly high school freshman :joy:. I donā€™t always think things throughā€¦ if you have Fusion 360 I would love to share a document with you and work cooperatively

@cobber it will work with the 3link.

1 Like

I mainly use Solidworks, but itā€™s easy to export and share

I took a quick look in a few books that i had here, almost certain that the module will be between 1 and 1.5mm considering 1000W per motor, so the number of teeth will go up and their size will shrink, thatā€™s also good for noise and wear, since we have more tooth face in contact for a given instant

Whatā€™s your engineering rational for the bevel gears? Just curious, not trying to challenge you

One advantage I see with belts over direct drives is the dampening effect. On a belt-driven powertrain, vibrations are not directly transferred from the wheels to the motor

I know itā€™s a very early concept, but I would recommend using bigger wheels or a smaller gear. Youā€™ve got very little clearance right now, and any impact would wreck some havoc on the gears. Good luck!

1 Like

@MoeStooge Maybe my next build? :punch: :smiling_imp: You canā€™t go saying stuff like that with expecting I might try and hit a brother upā€¦

GM I was thinking what pitch too, Im guessing depending on material you could drop the pitchā€¦ you could make emā€¦ or buy em off the shelf Iā€™ll find a link and add it below. If you reduce pitch you will have more teeth :wink:

I think they would end up in capable hands. You would rule the lower sphere. Upper one is mineā€¦:+1::checkered_flag:

:anger_right: BOOM!!!

2 Likes

Just a wild idea i had on my mind for a while, Nowinds Direct Drive uses POM Gears and POM can be 3d printed. Or even Polycarbonate. 3D Printing the stuff would make manufacturing a lot easier i guess, but itā€™s hard to know if it will hold up without trying out. So far my expectations regarding durability for 3d printed parts have always bin exceeded.

1 Like

I think the big gear (drive gear) can be 3d printed and nylon is the most suitable material. It is self lubricating and holds up well. The smaller motor spur gear can be the part that is metal/aluminum as it will need to be for the heat coming off the motor.

Obviously this is the setup i refer toā€¦ smaller gear get from maedler.de or some US vendor already pre-made and just use whatever pitch they have. The larger gear nylon 3d print.

Yup! Once I work out pitch and stuff this whole thing will become a lot smaller. Maybe Iā€™ll even add a gearbox :wink:

Before I purchase anything, I will be 3D printing a ton. I may end up making the big one in ABS+ but I am worried about durability of metal on plastic

I will definetly give it a shot! Both of the Stratasysā€™s that I am able to use for that are out of order at the moment and Iā€™ve got a couple people waiting on mounts and a few waiting on pulleys, they will get priority.

So on durability this was @Nowind results using POM but nylon is even betterā€¦ the strongest there is. You just need a e3d-v6 hotend ($28) for your 3d printer. His system of course is an enclosure and he uses total power grease. I have used white lithium grease from home depot :wink:

If you donā€™t have an enclosure thoughā€¦ i donā€™t know if greasing is an option?

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/e-mtb-drive-gear-with-spur-gears-directdrive/9586/161?u=gogomrrobot

Is that true? I believe that POM is better than nylonā€¦

I think POM is stronger than nylon. And more durable. Not used very often because of how tough it is to print.

Ok maybe soā€¦ i thought POM was like ABS or PLA.

Haha. Almost nobody can print it cause it only prints at like 220c. Almost all home printers donā€™t go that high, also, you need a heated chamber to print without warping

I donā€™t see anything wrong with experimenting though. Iā€™ll print a couple in different materials and switch them out every ride. So we can be sure about which one is more durable, more fun for me too :wink: