Just got hit by a car!

I took the same approach lately but unfortunately it wasn’t enough today. In the beginning i did this commute in roughly 45 min. Lately i did it in 1h and 15 min. Traffic is just crazy here. It’s just Asia a culture of giving your rights away.

I’ve gotten used to it lately that if someone doesn’t notice me on their cars and about to hit, i’ll just wave my hands like a lunatic, and they do a panic brake :smiley: It’s been working so far :smile:

1 Like

All eBoarders should be aware of the situation;

ABSOLUTELY no one in a car will think of us as an electrified vehicle, so if you’re driving on streets or paths that cross streets where cars drive, always drive very foresighted!

5 Likes

This is actually a rising problem. More and more builder build 10s - 12s boards. It’s easy to manage this speed on a park and I have to say the speed over 30kmh is fantastic to ride. However I do agree that it’s too fast for a vehicle that can’t brake instant without throwing you off the vehicle it’s self. And trust me no one really expect someone to go over 30kmh on a skateboard. Very dangerous.

3 Likes

Yes, I totally agree with you. That’s why I couldn’t get mad on this guy. He was coming out of a tight street with low visibility around the corners. Here in Japan at this kind of intersections they have mirrors installed at the opposite site that drivers can see coming traffic. I guess he looked and just thought that I am a pedestrian. But at this kind of corner just everyone has to stop and he was just going too fast. Man iam really glad that I got out of this with just one now completely locked up leg and some ripped clothes. The battery seems to be fine, it still holds the same capacity then after the accident. But I still haven’t had the time to properly check it.

Edit* Before i build my board i was doing the same commute on a bicycle with disc brakes, but at todays accident even disc brakes wouldn’t have changed anything, he was just running straight in to me. I guess, would i have been on a bicycle today my injuries would be much worse.

1 Like

Sounds like you strained the complex of ligaments around your knee and possibly pulled a muscle. Take naproxen sodium and try to keep off of it for about a week or two. Getting a knee wrap / brace will help too.

1 Like

I’m glad you were not seriously injured.

1 Like

Thing is driver don’t know if skateboard can go as fast as car, not to mention the esk8.

If it was here in Canada, I would rip him off or would sue him for good.

I like Japan so no offense, but transportation there is ridiculous. Bike law is weird subway is a maze. Can’t wait to visit this winter :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The same thing could of happened with a bicycle people driving cars just need to be more careful!

I agree @Acidfie. Always ride with the mindset that the cars are going to hit you. It can creep up on you, it has to me before also. Never trust anyone. Always scan and look for cars that look like they might move and people in general.

3 Likes

ive been hit by a taxi driver who completely ignored the stop sign as well. my entire body was slammed on the hood and i was able to put my arms between my head and the hood so i did not get hurt i walked it off but sadly my board was badly damaged. funny thing is if it was electric one i would have had brakes and im sure i would have prevented the accident but oh well thanks to that incident im very careful now. you dont get to say its my right to pass they should wait. that mentality is wrong and unhealthy.

So you longboard on the road and don’t even know how to footbrake?

And I get the vibe that you weren’t wearing a helmet correct me if I’m wrong,

1 Like

Here in Japan in the most populated areas, streets are tight and don’t have sidewalks. The street, the guy came out, had buildings right up to the corner so that his view was completely blocked. For that reason there are mirrors installed on the opposite site of the crossing. When I drive my car at those intersections I completely stop, check the mirror and go slowly in to the street because visibility in the mirrors is also not 100%. He was fast, thats why he ran over the skateboard with front and rear tires, could not stop his car quick enough. And he apologized and admitted that he was rushing immediatley.

My accident happened the same exact way, like EXACTLY. If I hadn’t jumped off, I surely would be injured for life.

Gives me the chills reading your story man. I really wish people would look twice out there. I hope you get your board back up and running. Glad you are ok!

1 Like

footbrake is the most important thing to learn when you ride a normal skateboard. you cant even ride without knowing how to do that so making an assumption that i dont know how to footbrake is abit pointless. also its not a magical thing to stop you in an instant. my normal skateboard helmet is helpless when it comes to protect my chin and my nose, full face thats another level but i dont have it.

I feel you man some roads have incredibly low visibility and to prevent an accident slowing down at those intersections is the only solid way. I had the similar accident, in my case I noticed the car and after around one second I was on it’s hood :slight_smile: I couldn’t shake it off just like you and I stopped riding my board and it was my daily commute to work but over time you will get over it and you will come back even stronger. Just be careful sometimes reaction time is very limited and you can’t really do anything, it’s better to slow down in those particular situations. Prediction and evaluation while riding is underrated. This also applies for motorcycle riders.

Owch. Glad you are alive and hope you recover soon. Expat in Japan, you said? I’ll be in Japan next month! What don the cops say when they see you on the esk8?

2 Likes

They are not aware that something like eskates exist, they just think that it is a regular longboard. Most of them just ignore you, but i got told twice to not ride it on the street, one time they let me continue home, the other time they ask me to get off and carry the board home. But if you are running a board with rear mounted motors which makes a lot of noise you will get in trouble i think. All sorts of electric vehicles except pedelecs are strictly prohibited here. But that will hopefully change, in such a densely populated country as Japan, ultraportable electric vehicles like esk8 is just the way to go. At some point they will realise that!