Kaly NYC style board for price of Evolve GTX?

Yeah. It doesn’t help that I’m completely new to electric skateboards. Similar to you I think after having checked your thread. I just enjoy longboarding, but am getting tired of the pushing :wink: The Trampa/MBS builds look super impressive. So much cooler than anything off the shelf. That’s why I want one. If I was going to ride serious distances every day I think they’re definitely worth the money, but this is more of a fun kind of thing for when I’m to lazy to cycle to work.

Honestly I had expected DIY prices to come down a bit further since I originally started looking at these things 2 years or so ago. It seems however quality and user friendliness has gone up (FOCBOX, pre-built enclosures, direct drive kits), but prices have more or less stayed the same. And at the same time, being in Australia, the Evolve’s are priced pretty well here (they’re 2300 AUD in the US vs 1800 AUD here).

Time for some long hard thinking. Do I really need a top of the line board while having two liter bikes and a good car in the garage? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks mate. Yeah they sell heaps, and obviously you only hear about the problem cases. Might have to be a bit more open minded towards Jeff and co.

LOL, you know it doesn’t work like this :joy:. That just means you’re more likely to spend up big on other toys. If you’re thinking pre-built, why stop at Evolve, for an extra couple hundred you could grab a BajaBoard and pick it up from the factory direct (Melb based).

Haha, yeah I’ve seen those. But might as well get a car then :wink: Sucks that I’m now getting this video in my feed: https://youtu.be/TzI0AtsogOk … Fuckers, this is not helping me going for a sensible choice :stuck_out_tongue:

Had an evolve CGT. Sold it after two months. I could tell the quality control was not as good as it should be. Low and behold after selling a month later. A motor controller failed. I also had issues with dropout on the remote. But for a starter board and getting something that is plug and play. Pre-built is the way to go.

But I am diy minded and I don’t regret the money I have spent on my failures of building boards recently. If you went Kaly style, you will have a top of line board you won’t easily get over like a pre built. But you may have to tinker with it a lot to keep it going. Tightening bolts etc etc

It all depends on how much you like working on something. If you don’t like fixing things then pre-built way to go. Diy if you want to get the best of what style you want but be prepared to fix it, a lot!

1 Like