Kaly.NYC XL Carver 1 month review

The problem is that the voltage spikes when you break then levels out. I had incident where in the first 5 minute of the ride I had to brake on flat ground that triggered a reset.

Hi , I have exact same kaly as you and have also owned it since March 18 , what is your (almost one year) review ? I put bindings on mine after about a couple of months (not everyone likes this) I have recently changed to 8” tyres , I never really used the street wheels that came with it as I loved the 7” AT , only problems I have had was with one motor and it was just a loose grub screw but I didn’t know that and made it worse by trying to fix it without knowing the problem but I have sorted that now , also my range has slowly got worse (it is currently winter in the uk so it is a difficult one to judge) , I have used and abused my kaly but (with luck ) it has not let me down , oh the charge point fell out of the remote but it did happen after a smash , I have had one puncture and 4 bald tyres , I have ridden through puddles jumped off things and taken it to France (I am from uk) I love my kaly , even though it is only one year old I am thinking of getting a newer model (only thinking ) and to find it I might have to sell this one , I don’t want to though as it is awesome

1 Like

Hey! I love the board and take it out for longer rides. My daily commute is replaced with a DIY trampa. A smaller top mounted battery gives the board a little more flex and more agility. I did swap out the motor mount for one from @Idea otherwise its still stock. The enclosure have a small crack otherwise no other issues.

Hey I know this an old post but how is the Kaly 2.0 doing. I went and tested one today. Very powerful. I have a carbon gt now and I’m looking to upgrade. What are your thoughts on the kaly 2.0 vs the kaly 40. I know increased range but what other benefits with the bms per battery pack. Efficiency? Longevity?

Correct me if I’m wrong but @Ixf has a Kaly.Nyc carver (last generation) the XL2.0 that you tried and the XL40 are the newest gen that just came out a little while ago…

Hey I have the old Kaly, I also rode the new Kaly.

To answer your questions: My old Kaly is still alive and kicking but my main mule is my DIY now.

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/mbs-dwii-first-impression/90940

I have a bamboo GT and the Kaly does not suffer the severe battery degradation the 3 Gen evolves go through.

The price difference between an Evolve vs a Kaly is a steal.

Regarding batteries

Heres my personal opinion. I don’t like big batteries. The weight impacts the ride feel. Batteries will degrade even if you don’t ride them. Lithium batteries don’t age well.

Having a big battery with multiple BMS allows for more ampage. In theory you will get more performance on top of the range but I find that unless you are trying to do sustained acceleration uphill you rarely need it. I personally now ride with high discharge lipo. It gives me a lot more flexibility.

There isn’t a “right” or a “best” route. Figure out what you want. Are you a long cruise 20 miles+ at a time rider? go with the 40 otherwise the 2.0 should be enough.

Hope this helps.

Awesome. Thank you for the response

1 Like