Killed both CAN chips but how?

wait…wait…wait.

i was not talking about Y-PPM, i was talking about CAN.

so you say, connecting two VESC via CAN is no problem, no matter how they’re connected to the battery?

1. connect both VESC via CAN
  2. power up both VESC via Loop key or switch or […]

That is questionable because what happens with CAN if your master (ppm attached to master) is fired? you cannot drive home.

but what about split PPM? Well you can drive home…

It is like a coin: every side has pro and cons…

1 Like

When i Setup a board i ALWAYS configure each vesc individual and then attach/Setup CAN. This way i will know if one VESC is faulty before running into CAN-IS-A-BITCH-PROBLEMS (preventing fried hw)

1 Like

The thing is CAN is supposed to be 100 times more reliable than PPM since it was developed for communication between vital electronic components on vehicles. It gained a bad reputation in this forum probably because of bad installations or obsolete chips.

1 Like

This is a good advice! If you then use a 3S for configuration, nothing should happen.

This is why you only run canbus with tx and rx connected, and the ground and vcc depinned…

:expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless:

Can’t blow a can chip without a shared ground or vcc. I really don’t understand why every vesc has 4 pins, Should only have two to prevent user errors…

2 Likes

From what i know there are more people having issues with canbus than with split ppm. I never heard anyone destroy a vesc using split ppm.

Im staying with ppm…

I don´t know why have Tarzan killed the CAN chip. I ride al my boards in dual system, and al my controller was connected with the CAN kable with out problems. On my HP was in the tutorials how you can connecting the dual system with CAN Bus cable. I programmed the slave at first and then the master. Then i controlling the spinning by the motor and at the last step i connecting the CAN cable. When a customer buy by me two controller i al time ask he wants making a dual system. And when he say yes, then i programming for him the master and slave, so thats he don’t have a problems with this.

1 Like

The standard for CAN is 4 pins, since you could power up a secondary device via CAN GND and VCC. In this case all CAN devices sit on one common, shared power line. If all devices have their own power supply or the same, shared power supply (like two ESCs), you should not connect GND and VCC since this creates GND LOOPs in the system. VESC-based ESC are not always used in skateboarding and therefore 4 PINs are very useful.

If you design your own HW, you could make the decision to use a 2 Pin connector and limit the use for coupling ESCs only, or split connectors for CAN L And CAN H and GND and VCC into two separate ports. This is up to the designer of the PCB.

1 Like

Have fried many canbus chips now. Going with a reciever for each vesc and bound to 1 transmitter.

why is that so?