Koowheel kooboard keeps blocking the wheels after using the breaks

Hi all,

I’m pretty new to building custom boards and need help. I’ve got a 3rd gen koowheel kooboard (I know, terrible board) and changed the connector on both the motherboard as the battery, because that kept breaking. Since I did that it worked like a charm. I wanted a second battery, but the gen 1 aren’t made anymore. So I asked the seller if the bms was the same and he told me it was. So I changed the connector on the gen2 battery as well and connected it. It seemed to work just fine until I had to use the breaks. Every time I use the breaks the controller starts to vibrate and the wheels block until the board has stopped completely. Only then I can continue to drive it again. Until I need to use the breaks again.

I checked the connectors and everything seems to be fine. Does anyone have any idea what this could be and how to solve this?

Thanks for your reply in advance.

1 Like

You have something messed up right there.

1 Like

Well with the gen 1 battery it has had never any problems. And still works. So I don’t think it could be the motherboard, right?

Did you do a bms bypass or are you discharging via bms? This only happens if the battery regen is causing overcurrent and shutting off the system so that it ends up cut off. The controller vibrations just means the esc was resetted and activated the auto brakes. Is the esc hobbywing?

Do you got pictures to show this? This might help us to know what is wrong with it better.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I didn’t do any bypass from the bms. I literally cut the wires directly at the end of the connection. So at the end on the battery where the connector is and the same on the end of the motherboard where the connector is. I used the xt90 connectors.

It’s working with the gen1 battery but not with the gen2. But the only thing that’s different on the gen2 battery is the end connector to the motherboard.

As far as the esc and the hobbywing. I don’t know what those are. But I havent touched anything besides replacing the two connectors.

This is the gen 1 original connector:

This is the gen 2 connector:

And this is both the battery and the motherboard as it is now:

Thanks for your reply in advance.

1 Like

Hi all,

I’ve tested it again with my other gen 1 battery and that one still works as it should. I don’t understand it at all. I’ve used a meter and both were around the same voltage.

Does anyone has any suggestions what it could be or how to solve it?

Thanks for your reply’s in advance.

1 Like

It seems as if gen 2 has a type of fail safe where it shuts off power via BMS. That one may need a bms bypass done to it.

Sorry for the late reply. I got busy.

1 Like