Koowheel Upgrades (or other china-board branded budget boards)

Hey guys just started out with a Kalifornia “Mustang” (Identical to Koowheel D3M). For the $400 i would say it was worth it. It does 16-19 MPH on flat ground. Was packaged well, and gets about 30-45 minutes of full speed. A few of the usual things bother me, it cuts power way too soon in the battery life, loses battery connection when I cross the rail road tracks.

However, I did buy it with the intention of upgrading/modifying it. Just wondering if anyone has done a thread on pulling one of these apart yet? I would imagine you need to start with a VESC before you could do anything else right?

1 Like

here is my thought: apart from the motor, it’s not worth mod. cheeper vesc available is torqueboard(and reliable) that cost u $200+$40ship, $300 for batt minimum, controller is $60, u need welder, sodering stuff, casing, tools, would be another 300. shipping cost and import taxes so u might as well get R2 with little bit more. or torqueboard is about $1300. or diy

tho i think for $400 it’s really good price. only thing I’d try mod be better batt. more amped one can give u better performance.

2 Likes

Idk if there is a thread for this but I would open the battery find out the cell type and order 20more. Put them in a 10s2p config then connect that in parallel to the battery pack already in the board to give you a 10s4p pack, this should give you twice the range and better acceleration and hill climbing. You could keep the esc already in it or upgrade to vescs or buy the dual motor esc off eBay although that might be what’s already in it. Lastly you could buy a mini remote off eBay for $20 but I’m not sure if you will be able to connect it or if there will be somewhere to plug in the receiver. Good luck

1 Like

I notice both of you suggested a remote, if I upgrade the ESC to a Toruqeboard VESC does that also mean I’m required to change remotes? The3 battery upgrade is an interesting idea to me. I guess to me, you have to “tune” it or program it correctly to get the most bang for your buck out of the rest of the upgrades. I feel if I could tweak a few of the limiters in the programming I could max out my usage of the stock battery.

the stock prob esc has reciever in the motherboard so u can’t use diff remote. even if u tick the board to get more amp from the batt, batt itself has limited amp can produce already. I’m not exactly sure which batt that is but assuming it’s 1c, 5ah. u get 50amp total 25amp max each motor.

This is interesting. Koowheel has told me on several occasions that minimum pricing on their boards is $600. This IS a koowheel D3M (onyx), not a rip off. This board was made by Koowheel for Kalifornia in Koowheel’s factory. This is what they do. They OEM boards. They sell them for about $270 to dealers who are then asked to sell for no less than $600.

I admit i was tempted to do the same thing. Order ten of them and flip them for $100 over cost plus shipping for an easy grand. but then i remembered talking to the guy and how nice he was and how he’s coming to the surf expo in orlando and had a really hard timew getting his VISA. I guess i have a fucking conscience is what i’m saying.

2 Likes

I hear ya. I have no interest in mass producing modified boards just in upgrading what i have.

is this the board where the esc and bms are combined ? If that is the case, this going to be a tricky mod. Can you open up and take some pics of the insides ? I wonder what’s under there.

1 Like

Take a look a the video below. The dude has the best accent i have ever heard and i wish i could speak like him. He also does a tear down of the Koowheel board you think you have. It looks like the bms and esc are separate. You should be able to mod this with Vesc’s and a new remote but I’m not sure how well it will work. Not sure if anyone has done this before.

2 Likes

This is the video that really gave me the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deLz7RJCYQ8

add a billet case to the list of needed mods. My cast aluminum case just broke right where the mounts are. (will post pics later)

My esc recently fried on my kalifornia board. I opened its and it’s dual hub is controlled by a single esc board. I ordered replacement dual hub vesc from diyeboard. I’ll let you know how it goes. But yeah it’s exactly same parts as koowheels even then battery are interchangble between the two.

2 Likes

hi there NYCeboardDude, did the vesc work out with your kalifornia board? i’m interested as I’m chopping about my Koowheel.

@ADi_HD I got the bulky dual hub esc from diyeboard. I’m running senseless, but yeah it works fine. I’m 185 using 10s4p get around 18mph takes me from home to school no problem a 20 mile trip. I also took everything and threw it on a penny board, so you can go custom route like me. $88 for a plug and play dual hub esc isn’t bad just wish it wasn’t so bulky. Its preprogrammed for their 500w hubs I think but works fine for the koowheel/kalifornia.

3 Likes

That’s great, Good to know these boards can be chopped about and repaired with non koowheel parts, I was tryind to get mine to work with one of the apps, but no luck,I’m assuming it’s because it’s got an esc and not a vesc, even the koowheel app doesnt want to talk to it.

Correct, most shipped boards, if not all comes with preprogrammed esc. If you wanted to fully customize it get a vesc or focbox. In future going to try koowheel dual hubs with dual belt 6374(prolly next year after snow).

2 Likes

my bad for not replying earlier. I tried to just order the KooWheel upgraded controller and ESC/BMS. Here are some pics of what I had going on.

1 Like

So they ended up sending back all of those fixed, gave me the gen 2 remote, put new wheels on in, new grip tape. It was really legit. Now just for total transparency, since I first started this post and now I started esk8shop.com and I sell KooWheel boards. They offered the warranty before I set up an arrangement with them. To be honest the experience with them is why I wanted to start selling their boards. at any rate, i am still very interested in upgrading the D3M+ (KooWheel, Kalifornia, a few others).

1 Like

I’ve got a few bits coming off my D3m wheels but fortunately not as bad as yours, Glad to hear your having a pos experience with their C.S. I’ve read a few neg ones up to now, prob down to being far too busy to deal with em all I guess, If they can pull it off with the service, they’ll do well. I’m needing an outside motor/wheel cover for the rear 90mm, mines got a chip out of it, not serious, it’s still running, but I can’t find the covers anywhere, apart from attached to the motor for about $89, I only need the cover.

1 Like

Here is a link looking at the batteries good… https://youtu.be/NdDoHnKhjFk