Kv and coasting - What do you ride, how does it coast-

Mine coasts 278.3ft after I let off the throttle going 37mph…

What’s your setup?

If you adjust your gear ratio between motor pulley & wheel cog such that the torque is the same at the wheel between lower and higher kv at the same number of motor amps, the higher kv motor will need to turn more rpm at the same ground speed, and thus in theory, the higher kv motor will create more drag from a coasting perspective for the same performance while powered.

Just the normal dual 6374 setup on 15/36 gears. I never find myself coasting…

Okay thanks that makes sense, and if they would both be 15/36? I’m assuming the higher kv would have less drag??

With the same gear ratio & same stator, higher vs lower kv, drag should be the same in theory-- unless you pass the no load rpm downhill, which is slower with lower kv.

The resistance is caused by eddy currents and hysteresis and the winding doesn’t matter. Super thin laminations (or powder core) or another stator design could reduce these losses and improve coasting

I don’t think he’s going to reply to you until at least May 1, 2019, 8AM EST.

1 Like

Yea I know been a while but I was just posting about this yesterday. But confused “cogging” which you feel in ur hands spinning the motor which is not a true loss. https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/4x-times-less-magnetic-resistance-easier-coasting/76644/5