kV vs Gearing ratio

No, that might reach the same top speed as a lower kV motor and higher voltage but it will have significantly less torque. The best setup in terms of torque and speed is 10-12s and 170-190kV. Then you just have to adjust your gear ratio depending on your wheel size

Okai. I’m sorry, but the reason i keep mentioning 6s all the time is that i plan to build my first board on 6s. I understand that i can calculate the speed with gearing and wheels size, i just wonder if a 280 or a 200kv motor would be best. :thinking:

Generally higher motor speed is better

Cooper loss on the motor is proportional to the current, if you run the motor at higher rpm and use a more aggressive gearing you can keep the motor torque lower, thus lower current and lower copper loss, so better efficiency

1 Like

Did you see my response?

I gave you a fishing pole, and you’re still asking for a fish.

1 Like

Yes i did. According to it i should choose the 280kv motor on 6s. Am i right? It will be closer to the erpm limit. Sorry, maybe im a little slow. I’m not an expert…

voltage - 6S max erpm - 50000 efficiency - 85% wheel size ? top speed ?

Wheel size 83mm, top speed maybe 20-22mph. I’m a beginner.

Around about 300kv would be a good match for a 22mph top speed on 15/36 ratio with 83mm wheels and 6S voltage

http://calc.esk8.it/#{“batt-type-lipo”:0,“batt-cells”:6,“motor-kv”:300,“system-efficiency”:85,“motor-pulley-teeth”:15,“wheel-pulley-teeth”:36,“wheel-size”:83}|

don’t use 300kv lol :rofl:

use 270kv. I don’t recommend 6s on the vesc either. it’s not really the sweet spot. if it’s possible, go for atleast 8s and bump it down to 245kv. as a beginner, 15mph feels really damn fast, if you get bored, just change up the gearing a little bit.

2 Likes

Okay. Thank you for the feedback. :slight_smile: i think i know what to buy now. :thinking:

1 Like

I highly recommend 10s and 190kv, as it is considered the sweet spot. but if you’re dealing with space constraints or other issues 8s is a bare minimum IMO.

1 Like

14mph is about where I consider it to be “fast” when you’re on an esk8. 25mph is fucking flying and 35mph is “I’m ready to die today”

5-8mph is a normal speed for beginners

3 Likes

I’d recommend 10S and 170kv or 150kv but that’s just me. I like more power/torque/braking instead of top speed personally

2 Likes

i think that’s a typo, most of us would call that “fun” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

:laughing: I think i would be ready to die.

1 Like