Laminate longboard deck with carbon fiber around curve

Hi, i´m trying to laminate an old longboard deck with carbon fiber and epoxy. It goes well, but i have problems with the curves.

deck

Does anybody knows whats the best doing to get a clean transition within the curves?

Thanks!

1 Like

@Sender has been killin’ it with his skills in this area as of late. Maybe you can give a few pointers!

1 Like

Nope, no problem with that curve at all

20190201_101531

Here is a hummie deck I put a layer of CF on the bottom for.

Do you have a plan or have you worked with these materials before?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DaqwhcfQZT8U&ved=2ahUKEwjH2O2ntMDgAhUSneAKHSyrCtAQwqsBMAF6BAgGEAg&usg=AOvVaw3YJNRgOZ_potpE7FeHXfFc

This is basically the process I use. Pay very close attention to order of operations and timing of steps.

8 Likes

In your example you didnt wrap it around the edges. I wanted to wrap it to cover the used edges.

What i mean: IMG_20190216_151128 IMG_20190216_151137

Notice its just the first “try-out” layer. It looks shit, i know :smiley:

Thanks!

1 Like

Are relief cuts in carbon fiber a thing? Looks like there area just needs a large amount of them.

You are not going to get as good as a result wrapping corners.

You can, but the CF must distort to accomodate that drastic direction change…

Watch that video, it will help you a lot. Your order of operations is what is hurting you.

1 Like

You will definitely have a lot easier time not wrapping the edges. Just paint them black and they will disappear. Trust me.

5 Likes

Geberal rule for CF is that you cannot work well with sharp corners unless you segment your fabric accordingy. Its not like skinning a car :wink:

2 Likes

How much strength does one layer add? Would top and bottom one make a flexible board rigid?

It absolutely will. It also of course depends om what weight CF you use.

A layer on bottom will have more effect than a layer on top

3 Likes

Cant wait to get mine back (laminate on bottom, 200gram CF), hope somewhere next week or so (but have time.)

1 Like

What deck is it on?

oww now you are asking something… searching… RAM Longboard Kihei 39

1 Like

Very helpful video! Thanks!

I’ve also seen you wrap some decks with other cool fabrics such as this one at the end https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words/2992/9085?u=legend27.

What material did you use and where did you get it? Did you use the same method as in the video?

Sorry for overtaking this thread, but…

I use essentially that method and you can use many different types of fabric and do that process more or less.

2 Likes

Thanks! Is there any specific website where you buy the fabric with premade designs?

1 Like

Be careful, and pay attention to scale. Some of those are larger or smaller than you think.

spoonflower.com

2 Likes

What type of fabric do you recommend?

Mostly satin fabric, but others will work

1 Like