Landwheel L3-X Reviews

ummmm

2 Likes

Welcome @GrecoMan

Nice Project

LOL

that’s not mine. look at the dude that made that first post :wink:

I see. Yes, I read your post wrong. But thanks for pointing us to the user name of @RCLifeOn.

We’d love to see him join our forum.

Hill climb test/review from Andrew Penman…

Jump to 6:24 for the conclusion. He ranks Landwheel as the fastst hill climber that he’s tested.

Love to see him do it with a 4WD Landwheel.

3 Likes

ATTENTION- I have the L3-X, and I have been a huge fan of it. However, I started having my doubts when I was told I would have to replace the screws on the unit since the wrong screws were used during assembly. EDIT: I replaced the screws on my landwheel and used a threadlocking compound. DON’T DO THIS: it damaged the plastic housing causing it to break. If you already have, ask landwheel for a new enclosure and don’t ride your board until you replace it. for those who still need to replace the screws, just screw them in dry- don’t add anything else and it should hold up just fine.

1 Like

@Penny_Pincher : Thanks for the warning about how not to install the longer screws.

In general, thread sealers like Loctite cure by interacting with metal. So when you use these types of compounds on plastic, the liquid never cures. Instead, it sits there in liquid form disolving the plastic.

New landwheels now ship with the longer screws already installed. So the longer screw information is only applicable to customers who recieved theirs a month ago.

For purchaser of the early production run Landwheels, when you get your replacement screws, install them dry to protect the integrity of the ABS.

Also, just so you know what happens if you apply Locite (etc.) to ABS plastic, this article and picture provide details.

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/img/242/2420491336090cc68812d7af1daae38f_m.jpg

3 Likes

I ordered my board back in July 2016. I got and adress to ship back my V4 modell for it to be fixed by them now. Should I wait until 27th still or should I ship it back?

I’m in contact with one of their seller that dosn’t work for landwheel direclty.

nice video from RCLifeOn. I wonder if he´s in this forum too.

he is… @RCLifeOn

1 Like

I am, not too often though, but I do read most of the posts.

2 Likes

@ Mikenopolis thx! (now I remember why he is familiar.) saw some of his PELTIER videos recently.

btw: I am happy to see Landwheel could eliminate the major problems and has a decent setup now. (I told them 2 years ago to actually listen to the community, not just say “say it”) seems they learned their lesson, even it was the hard way.

edit: hi Simon, I am trying to cool my Macbook with peltier elements to run a HTC Vive I might pm you for some questions

Wait til the 27th. And I’m sure you won’t need to ship anything back if it is a replacement that you are seeking. IT would be replaced with and L3-x. No one should be fixing V2/V3/V4 Landwheels.

1 Like

Hey everyone! With the advice from @Mikenopolis I’ve got my hands on the L3-X drive. I saw from early stages that Landwheel was working with the DIY audience to get some hones feedback. Unlike many of the esk8 companies, popular and generic, Landwheel basically fed themselves to the wolves! This was really admirable to me and I’ve noticed some big strides to get to this V5 iteration. I’m finally working on a quick unboxing video but will eventually be doing a more comprehensive review videos well. If ya’ll would invite it, I can post the vids here when their complete.

2 Likes

@nmagz3 Even though the drive is good in terms of performance (swappable battery somewhat nullified the range complaints), I hope you read up on the falling apart issues and the potential fixes we discussed. Until Landwheel addresses these breakages and offers a retrofitted reinforcement, the durability of the plastic battery enclosure is doomed to fail over time.

Please get yourself a long Velcro cinch strap and secure it around the unit so the battery and metal plate has no room to move. This makes battery swap slightly more tedious but it will prevent catastrophic failure.

3 Likes

Yeah I have read that in your guys’ discussions which will help me review this honestly, thanks! Before my review, I should make sure with Jason that I have their longer hardware. In addition to that I appreciate your tip on the Velcro strap. For the review I was hoping to keep any modifications incognito. Do you think a Heavyduty Velcro strip would fit between the drive and the deck would work?

1 Like

Mike’s comments are fair and timely. Over the last week, within the volunteer group of beta testers, we have observed in our private forum a new failure of the screw posts that hold the plastic shell to the metal base plate. In this new case the longer screws had already been swapped. The unit was about 3 months old.

A number of the beta testers have some manufacturing and injection molding back ground. We’ve studied the characteristics of the plastic shell in detail and have identified specific changes that we feel should be made to the mold for the ABS shell. We have also recommended the addition of a number of metal components to bind the ABS shell to the Aluminum base plate.

We agree the recommendations are fundamentally sound and flexible enough that Landwheel should be able to translate these recommendations into their own improvements to the mold and fastening system. Experience tells us that Landwheel takes our safety and durability recommendations very seriously so we anticipate a positive and swift response.

I suspect the recommendations will be accepted and customers will receive replacement parts to correct the identified vulnerabilities.

We need to wait until the end of the Chinese New Year to get a response to these proposals as this period of holidays is very strictly observed. I expect we’ll hear back from Landwheel very close to the 27th of February.

In the Interim, the beta testers all agree that two Velcro straps (with buckles) attached tightly to the battery after it is inserted is the best way to prevent the plastic fatigue on the screw posts and safe guard against the type of failure that would cause the battery compartment to pull free of the aluminum base plate.

These are an example of the type of strap that we feel would be best. Notice the buckle. https://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-Brand-3-ft-x-2-in-Velstrap-Straps-2-Pack-90440ACS/202261929

Like Mike says. Nylon strap. Not Elastic.

We recommend that everyone ride with this simple low cost addition until such time as a set of replacement parts is available from Landwheel.

2 Likes

Yes. Slide the straps between the deck and the drive. Position the buckle to one side and close to the deck. Thread the velcro to get as much surface contact as possible, then trim to length.

1 Like

Paul. Please remove the second home depot link. Definitely do NOT get anything that is elastic

1 Like

I’m curious to know if this happens only to me? I have also extremely voltage sag, I mean I can run like 2 kilometers good but then if I press full throttle the BMS jumps and cut the power, the only solution I find it at the moment is on/off every time to make it work and give gas gentle until at least reach home. I hope you guys can comment on this. P.s I did run like 8 batteries fully charged, as a reference for the wheels and the battery sag Thanks!

1 Like