Once I saw “electric”, “vehicle” and “3D printed” I knew it had to be good (and I was right). Finally I had a chance to build my Pink Dragon Spine.
I got Onda core deck and The Spine kit including VESC and NodeMCU (Wi-fi module).
It all started from trying to figure out what do I need. I’ve used those components:
- Faraday Motion Lightspeed 6364S 63mm Motor
- VESC Motor Controller
- Capacitor + PCB
- HTD5-15MM Belt (525mm)
- HTD5-15mm Motor Pulley (16 teeth) (feather key + pinol screw)
- NodeMCU (Wi-fi module)
- Arduino Mini
- LED ring 12 bit black
- 63mm Motor Bracket
- Onda Wheels with Gear-mount
- Onda core deck, torsion shocks and trucks
So here we go. Battery compartment had to be modified - current design is suitable for LiPo battery used by Faraday Motion. I had LiFePO4 in different size and I wanted to have lights on the back to be more visible. Fusion 360 was good enough to design/redesign all the components.
I needed a unicorn on the back as well.
Placing my nick and slot for a dragon.
Top lid was 6 hours print.
And it required some wet sanding.
Those parts are suitable for The Spine 2.0 by Faraday Motion
• Drive belt gear was printed with 75% infill. Top lid was printed with 20% infill because of its function. All other parts were printed with 50% infill.
• Wall thickness of the parts is 1,6mm • All parts were printed with 0,8mm nozzle on Ultimaker Original
I wanted Voltage meter on the side - and there was perfect space for having a display. Also - having fuse on the side sounded like a good idea. I failed few times with designing and printing something which would fit display, cables and fuse. This one went super bad.
Finally - this one looked good.
Slicing was made in Cura.
Making connector for battery and battery tester.
Unsoldering all factory pins cuz… well NodemCU (ESP8266) looked too big to fit nicely in the electronic box. I could make it nicer.
After and before.
Arduino and LEDs on the back required 5V therefore I had to solder together DC/DC converter.
And place it somewhere.
It would make sense to test it. First problem: few battery testers (LiPo battery voltage tester – low voltage buzzer alarm) did not recognize all 8 cells (just first 6) The problem appeared to be in battery tester not in the battery - last two pins were not connected to anything… (ebay special). Tried another tester and this time it worked. All 8 cells were good.
Mishaps: • Printing first battery compartment suitable for standard LiPo battery used by Faraday Motion, not for LiFe custom battery pack (wrong measurements). • Problem with battery testers which did not recognize all 8 cells of LiFe battery pack. • Printing top lid with support – with 0, 8 mm nozzle (instead of changing settings from suitable for 0,2mm nozzle) which made removing support material time consuming and not easy.
• Used VESC and motor started working without problems after connecting but motor was stuttering which gave a suspicion that it works sensor less. Order of the pins was reversed. Connector had to be taken apart and cables had to be moved. Other than that - works fine.
Time to put everything together
There is one part I’m missing for now - something to keep battery locked in place. For now it sits in the battery compartment thanks to foam.