LHB Phat Matson Deck | 10S4P 360 Wh 18650 w/BMS | Ollin Vescs | Enertion Single 190kv 6372 & Mount | 83mm Flywheel Clones

You are my second customer for a complete build that isn’t myself or one of my kids, and as such you are helping me tremendously simply by trusting me with your money. I would not have been able to even get this thing off the ground if it wasn’t for you and the first person who bought a complete from me. With no family money, no rich wife, no investors, and a full time job and a toddler, There was no other way to do it but take payment up front and re-invest the profits in consumables and supplies and paperwork.

You literally paid for my LLC.

I won’t forget that, and i expect plenty of pictures of you riding this beast you ordered.

2 Likes

This is great to hear. Pictures, videos, the whole 9 are forthcoming.

tacked up those cells from the group buy a while back…

…and…

boo yah! 10S4P pack. in red of course. i accidentally made one in green so i threw it away after peeing on it and shocking myself.

3 Likes

got those trucks chopped for this build now that the drive train has finally arrived.

and got the box done and here’s basically what its going to look like when completed:

and also got the BMS and pack wired in, here you can see me charging it up with a 2amp space cell style charger.

I have to say… the phat matson is kind of an all around wicked deck for esk8s. Nice and wide but short, yet it still has the full 27" wheelbase of the classic Scarlet shape.

Pretty much all that’s left for this guy is to get it filled up with magic smoke and street tested. All the parts have finally arrived.

Also this box is working out well for both types of builds. There seems to be plenty of room for 12S or 10S 4P packs, and i could probably fit another 12 or 24 cells in there for a 12S 5 or even 6P with some creative battery packery. The next time i order cells i’m going to try and see just how many cells i can fit in there and still have 2 VESCs and a large BMS.

Once i start having these boxes made, there will definitely be a deck and box kit offering on my site for DIY builds complete with mounting kit and maybe even volt meters and push buttons and things so you can cut your own holes and do it how you want to.

4 Likes

@longhairedboy this is another incredible build! Nice work!

I notice that you’re using the 2A charger for this one; where did you source the port for that charger, the one that you wire to the BMS and battery pack for charging? I’ve bought two baggies-worth of “the wrong size” and of course there’s no info on the device itself.

2 Likes

What battery meter is that? I’ve been looking for a cheap, compact meter that supports up to 12s.

beleive it or not it is the one @cmatson sent me when i washed out my BMS back in January when i got stuck in the rain, and shortly after that i was contacted to start doing space cell repairs. It was all a rather interesting turn of events. The charger is also one of mine that i have extra because i have two space cells, one in my scarlet prototype and one i use for testing raptor repairs, and since only one of them needs to be charging at once i have no need for the extra charger, so its literally brand new and has been sitting on the shelf doing nothing, so i’m selling it with the build. These little 2Amp chargers really do get the job done, even on a 4P. ITs not really that slow compared to using a balanced charger on a 6S2P 350 Wh lipo repack, which is a ridiculous 3 or 4 hours dance of “is it still charging let me check every half hour oh it seems to have stopped let me start it again christ”

all of my builds are going to have 4Amp ebike chargers (aka fast chargers) moving forward like the one in my 12S build thread. plug it in and walk away for 2 hours and its done.

1 Like

so this guy has only sold 27 of them… and i feel like i’ve bought about half of them… but i LOVE LOVE LOVE these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172143986261?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

programmable up to 14S using a pushbutton on the back. I like to desolder the button when i’m done getting it set up so that it doesn’t flake out and start doing things its not supposed to later on after its in the box, like display the wrong voltage after reprogramming itself.

they have a lens on them that is about 1mm deep so that it can poke through the hole you cut in the box. So many things about these are just perfect.

If i can figure out how to replace the green backlight smd led with a red one, or any other color i want based on the build, then i may just die of happiness.

2 Likes

Let us know if you do! That would be killer!

I just ordered one to check out.

getting that magic smoke installed last night. Also had a snafu on one of the rivet nuts and had to rework it, which required dremel surgery.

5 Likes

got the board together this weekend. I’m really happy with how it turned out.

Its fast and steezy. Don’t let anyone ever tell you that a single drive puts you in the slow lane. Launch torque is lower than a dual drive but top end is comparable. Here she is out on the wooded trail i did the first street test on thie weekend:

I did what i call a Derp Tour first. That’s when i turn on my Map My Ride app and don’t pause the workout for anything, and i ride a trail with only a couple of straightaways and lots of shady twists and winds, and usually loaded down with people, dogs, kids, and cyclists. It records stops and averages and everything and presents a better picture of normal usage. Can the board handle me getting a soda? Can it deal with cruising extra slow while i chat with a cyclist? Can I carve around that kid whose just standing in the middle of the road for no reason? Can it carve around that one corner at ridiculous speeds? Do dogs sufficiently hate the motor warbling? These are the important questions. Derp Tour test results:

After that run i had 26% battery left from the 100% I started with.

Then i did the performance test out on a different trail. This trail has plenty of straightaways and better pavement, and wider turns. Took it from 98% to 1% where it promptly cut itself off as it should:

Then i brought it home, charged it up a little, tore it down and cleaned it then packed it up to ship.

I really enjoyed riding it, it was the first time i had really given the Witchblade/Phat Matson deck a serious go and i think i’m in love with how it handles. I don’t miss the nose or tail at all. Its also about 4" shorter than the scarlet classic. I totally forgot to weigh the board on its own before i packed it up though, and now i wonder what the exact difference in deck weights actually is. Guess I’ll find out later.

10 Likes

Just wanted to write up a little update. I’m not going to write a review because, really, I’m not qualified so just take this as my subjective experience.

I’ve had the board about a week and I’m kind of obsessed with it. I have no background in skating and the first time I got on one was when I bought a skateboard about a month ago. I took a couple of falls on that thing and never really got comfortable on it and hoped I would just learn to ride the Phat Matson when it got here. It was much easier to pick up than a regular skateboard – easy acceleration curve, hella fun and the board is just big and rock solid, it’s like you’re standing on top of a little spaceship, or, as my friend described it, it’s pretty much like Biff’s fictitious hoverboard in Back to the Future made real. As an aside, I also rode a little bit on my friend’s boosted board, the look and feel are totally different - the boosted board feels and looks like a good product whereas the Phat Matson feels and looks like great piece of custom craft work. It’s a bit like comparing dinner at the Cheesecake factory (which is still pretty good) versus eating at a chef owned restaurant where the Chef’s personality is integrated into the entire experience. I’m happy I went with LHB.

Riding in the city has been exceptionally fun. You get tons of questions, some jaw dropping when you pass bikers, and a lot of “what is that?” as you zip by. I plan on producing a full video on what it’s like riding in Chicago probably after about a month.

Unfortunately I do have to send back the board to address an issue with it and I’m going to miss the board. LHB has been great on the customer service front. Once I get it back, there will be more to come.

1 Like

Oh shit you’re in Chicago? Where by? Let’s go for a ride sometime

Hey @longhairedboy if the issue is something I can fix I wouldn’t mind @guyguy dropping the board at my house and fixing it for him.

Saves you guys shipping and gets him riding faster.

i’m tempted to take you up on that offer, but since i’m still developing my warranty through trial and error, i’m not sure how this would squeeze in. If it wasn’t for this community i wouldn’t even be in business, so i definitely want to look to the community for help when needed and accept it when offered, and of course give back whenever i can.

My plan was, and is still is i guess, to offer a no-questions-asked-as-long-as-you-don’t-break-the-seal level of send-it-back-at-no-charge-and-i-fix-it-for-free kind of warranty. I don’t explicitly have that written anywhere because i haven’t completely formalized it and its also not the kind of thing you would hate to learn about in fine print, its really more of an easter egg of common sense customer service.

However… If you and @guyguy here are willing to give that a shot i’ll still be available for consultation.

I suspect that the regen braking current is set too low or something along those lines. I tested everything i could think of EXCEPT hard braking down hills. Being in florida it just didn’t occur to me, which is kind of short sighted i suppose. I’m also not a very hard breaker, so i can see how i missed this.

The box drops when you loosen the 8 m3 bolts with a metric hex key, i believe its a 2.5mm that you’ll need. Remove the truck hangers first or you’ll find yourself irritated by the wheels blocking your way. Make sure the board is upside down on its back when you do it so that the box doesn’t just clunk down and dangle by the phase leads.

You’ll immediately discover the seal when you drop the box. It has something clever written on it like “break this seal and your on your own” and probably a drawing of a skull and crossbones and “hail skatan” written in there somewhere.

gently cut it away with a razor and you’ll be able to get to the USB port on the vesc. You’ll have to remove the electrical tape i covered the USB port with.

That seal does two thing: it tells me if it was hacked around with and it also keeps the crap out of there that makes it past the gasket such as moisture or fine dust. I would advise making another seal before riding in case you get stuck in the rain. You can use visqueen or other heavy plastic sheeting such as from a gallon ziploc or something like that. And if you can forge my doodles well enough i may forget that you were in there the next time there’s an issue.

I already sent the return label via email, but you are of course free to not use it if you decide to go this route, or save it for later. I think they’re good for a pretty long while.

Let me know what you decide to do.

1 Like

@barajabali definitely - I’m in Lakeview. I am a newb though.

Regarding repairs, I’m game if @longhairedboy vouches for your work @barajabali and barajabali is comfortable after seeing what the issue is.

Okay what are the symptoms that the board is experiencing? What is happening to it? @guyguy

I have no problem with anything mechanical or electrical but VESC is not something I’m proficient in yet. If it’s any other issue I can handle it but I don’t do programming. Do you suspect is the esc?

i suspect its a settings issue in the regen braking. He was saying that the brakes are cutting out during really hard braking, so i thought maybe those settings needed some tweaking. Then lots of testing. If you’re not comfortable tweaking VESC settings then the best thing to do would be to let him send it to me.

You’ll need BLDC Tool version 2.16 to connect to it if you guys decide to try it on your own.

I’m heading out to Texas to see a judge about my boy (might be getting custody, i’m kind of pumped about it), so it would likely be waiting for me when i got back if it was sent out today, then i could probably have it tuned and tested within a day or two after that, then another 3-4 days to get back to him in the mail.

You guys should totally go for a ride though. Its kind of cool two builds on my decks are in such close proximity all the way across the country. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I’m just going to send it in. Logistically it’s the easiest thing for me, I wouldn’t be able to make it out to Bara’s during the week and my weekends these next two weeks are busted.

@barajabali thank you for your offer - very generous of you.

hmm, Im not really a vesc expert, but with my little experience Im actually not sure how to get around that problem - your max braking is determined by the max battery charge current which is usually a fairly small number (for example my 10S4P batteries accepts 4A/cell, so -16A brake current is the maximum).

not 100% sure how it worked with the vesc, but I think there was no soft backoff strategy - once you hit that limit, the vesc goes into under_current error (or something like that), red LED blinks and it takes a few seconds until you can do anything again - at least thats what happens to me with over current! so either you need to brake a little more careful, or youll just have to live with recharging your battery outside specifications. both slightly annoying, but Im not sure if you can really do anything about it. :confused:

1 Like