LHBified James Kelly Pro Model 2016 | otang kegals | 12S 430 watt hours | VESC | RSPECS

Don’t worry, I even have templates for the concave! :joy::+1:t3:Thanks so much for the advice, super helpful!

How do you like the kegals?

a lot. I like them very, very much, and it makes me want to try and have some custom ones made in a different color and get some insert pulleys made for them so i can stop chopping evolve pulleys.

2 Likes

Have you tried the Evolve gt (overpriced i know) wheels. They have the same contact patch as kegels and the same profile. They’re pretty much an 83mm, softer, abec style kegel!

I have not, but that’s pretty much exactly what i want. maybe even 90s.

I know someone who is selling theirs for cheap, since they don’t use them at all, if you’re interested I can try get them for you at a cheaper price than they’re selling for on Evolve’s site. Looking around $60 maybe $50 US not including shipping though (from Aus)

1 Like

shipping would be murder i think, but thanks for the offer.

Yeah guess, so, just checked it’d be $15 if it were 500 grams or less, but I’m guessing it’s going to be a bit more. more than 500g is $33, ($24.96 USD) so I guess it’d still be a bit cheaper than from directly from Evolve. Offers always there if you want :slight_smile:

Edit: Just realized I put ‘‘Enertion’s site’’ in my original comment, I meant Evolve, if you got confused :stuck_out_tongue:

@longhairedboy Maybe with thhn and it’s thinner insulation it would make routing individual wire channels easier.

1 Like

it would, but i’d prefer to stick with 12 awg high strand count silicone insulated phase leads when possible.

I’m going to look into extra fine wire with a pvc jacket see if it is available w/o a special order I have a friend who works for Houston wire and cable

Love the build, bit late to the thread, but mind showing me how the kegels are mounted onto the pulley @longhairedboy?

they’re insert pulleys.

these are Evolve pulleys. https://evolveskateboardsusa.com/collections/gen1-replacement-parts/products/kegel-drive-gear

They literally plug into the back side of the wheels and have their own bearing that annoyingly enough you have to provide.

The belt surface is way to wide to use with a 9mm belt on a typical Enertion style setup so you have to chop them down. I think its a 15mm belt surface. You also have to chop more aluminum off the hanger than you would with Enertion pulleys.

1 Like

I see, they look really nice from the outside since you don’t see any mounting gear on it. Kinda a shame though since you have to chop so much off. What tool did you use? I don’t have any power tools really besides a jigsaw and a drill, so pretty lame for me. I’m sticking to the torque boards one for now.

Just a thought, why not use use 15mm belts and pulleys? Or just a preference of 9mm? I’m not an expert so I don’t really know the differences between the sizes.

Can’t fit both of them on the Caliber 10" trucks with the Enertion mounts and motors i used.

I used a chop saw to cut the pulleys. Before i put the bearings into them, i used a carriage bolt with a wing nut to hold the pulley tight into the wheel, then held the wheel down against the fence on my chop saw. It takes some practice and a couple of passes usually to get it perfect but i’ve gotten pretty good at it.

I have a 10" chop/miter saw with a laser on the blade that i got from a local pawn shop for $40. It’s a Tech… something brand. Not a brand I’ve ever heard of. But damn does it cut some shit. I used it to build my floating entertainment center in my living room as well as several other projects. I wasn’t sure it was going to cleanly cut plastic without melting it or something stupid, but if you go slowly that carbide blade goes through that nylon or whatever it is like a hot wire through butter and leaves an extremely clean cut.

Luckily I only have 1 motor for now at least. That must be what Boosted is doing now with the Kegels, instead of what the did for their previous gen boards. I really want something like that Evolve pulley, but it’s a shame you have to fiddle with it a bit.

Hey Bro, Bro’s a kiwi thing ey bro, Evolves Aussie bro. Stereotypes only work if you get the country right ! The new evolve GT wheels are really good ! Feel solid into turns, nice and soft, and you can buy them together with bearings and 2 drives wheels for $130 aud or with belts as well for $160 I prefer these over the 83mm abecs but I’m getting 97’s for my GT carbon and will use the evolve wheels on my next build. totally envious of that robot minion…

1 Like

wat 18650 did u use ???

Samsung INR18650-25Rs.

Hey man, check out the Liam Morgan pro model also by Arbor. Really similar to the Kelly model but a couple inches shorter. I love this deck!!

1 Like