Li-Ion Battery Charging

BMS is protecting not managing the charging :slight_smile: At least those discrete ones, donā€™t know about bit more expensive ones :wink:

But every BMS with balance function should ā€œmanage the chargingā€, or do you mean something different? I have 6 BMS between 10ā‚¬ (ebay) and 80ā‚¬ (bestech) and all of them take care while chargingā€¦

By manage charging I meant that you would be able to use simple power supply basically any or at least same voltage and it would manage charging current for e.g. If I connect 42V 100A PSU and I want to charge max 5A it would regulate current to 5A and then capacity reaches maximum (current draw drops like low enough it would disconnect power from charging) or even would do CV/CC like @SimosMCmuffin BMS :slight_smile:

At the moment we use CC/CV charger bricks which at then reaches maximum V and current draw drops it disconnects its output and turns LED to green.

a typical power supply does just constant voltage. no problem with fire. very common.

Ok, now I get you :sunglasses:

1 Like

Found out that some Chinese bricks doesnā€™t even disconnect just turns LED green based on voltage and keeps battery connected to power all the time, but as battery is fully saturated it can be like 10-50mA drawing only

and just to make a point as I was asked privatly most of the BMS I saw here uses Li-* Balancer ICā€™s * S count which runs independently and doesnā€™t care If you charge or not they just turn on mosfet to discharge cell whenever cell voltage reaches threshold.

This is that one S Block

Here Is one them datasheet if interested

1 Like

You can get the same balancer boards independently :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is not true. There is a reason why Tesla has a trip limit on their battery to avoid staying at high charge for a long time. It does increase the cells capacity and thatā€™s why they should be charged to a storage voltage when not in use for longer periods and topped off to max (or as much as you need) before you use it.

Every normal Power brick will do cc within its specs. A 42v 2a does Not give you 10a. So it would Charge all the time with 2a even if it is Full. But then the bms steps in and regulates the current Going to the battery. A cccv charger is even better and can also do cv. It does the hard Part for the bms.

In my mind a cccv charger is only necessary if you attach it directly to the cells instead of the bms or the bms could draw 20a and your Power supply could deliver enough Watts.

But then it would be a beefy bms and i do not think that it could t handle the cv Part as Well.

Am i totally off? @PXSS

Normal power bricks donā€™t do current limit as they are CV it will keep voltage but decrease the current.

BMS does not regulate current. It just has max limits which when you reach turn off charging

2 Likes

And when does the balancing Kicks in? In your theory it would load till 100% and shuts it self ofā€¦

But actually the Power brick or the cccv charger does Not turn off! Power brick will provide its current (empty battery it will be even more than the specs because of wattage) and a cccv charger only enough current to hold the voltage. Now the bms can Balance the cells.

But u should Balance more than one hour though

Edit: the bms will protect the cell for over Charge. If one cell is Full it wont feed the whole Pack before it unloads a bit capacity of the Full cell. Even if you provide less (cccv) or much current (Power brick). But the less current the less Power get lost while charging/balancing

Nope it doesnā€™t care about single cell voltage, its independent cell balancer job to keep it under 4.2V. BMS has no MCU its just discrete components and etcā€¦

Balancer run even if charging is off its independent from whole bms schematic it runs off single cell + and - each S does same

Green part is independent from pink part. If you manage to overcharge cells while braking cell balancing will kick in. You can also plug in only 1S 3S or what ever on that side it doesnā€™t matter for pink side.

Pink side has some discrete componets and op amps which limits current going in and out and also voltages thats all it doenst give a shit about any single of cell its job is to limit for e.g. Whole pack voltage to 3.412 to 4.212 and max 10A discharge and charrge thatā€™s allā€¦

Balancing kicks in the moment Cells voltage reaches the threshold doesnā€™t matter if whole other cells are undervoltage

1 Like

@Kug3lis can we have a re run on the IR at full charge discussion?

I thought that Batteries at full Charge Degrade faster thus translating into Higher IR (aka Ageing effect) Was that so dumb? Iā€™ve found the old topic That Iā€™ve Read the IR thing from.

From what I understand any amount of time at full charge increases IR and the effect is cumulative. So, storing at full charge for two days five times is the same as storing them at full charge for 10 days straight. How long is it safe to leave lipo's charged - HeliFreak

no argument here just want your input.

Sorry but I am done explaining stuff, go google stuff and learn yourself I have work to do :slight_smile:

Thereā€™s so much wrong information on this threadā€¦

2 Likes

I think the issue is people saying there is wrong information and not shearing a source :triumph: Or not directly replying to the question/misinformation.

I was mainly telling kugelis, since heā€™s talking down on you, while being wrong himself about most of what heā€™s talking about.

Lol, OK if I am talking wrong stuff then donā€™t listen :wink: I donā€™t really careā€¦