Li ion Pouch cell (NOT LIPOS)

Have you ever encountered a fire from soldering lipo pouch cells, just curious

nah no fires in any batteries ive ever built.

I have had a few large sparks though which scare the shit out of me.

1 Like

haha noted which do you reccomend the 15ah or 10ah

15 ah, the bigger the better for me :slight_smile:

thanks for the advice!

1 Like

Iā€™m looking to get them too but ship from china. Iā€™ll write and call them when they wake up in a couple hours and see how long theyā€™d take. Iā€™d also like to see some reviews about how real the discharge rate is too.
@willpark16 if ur around the Bay Area maybe we could group order. Shipping is showing 70$

Might be finding the wrong info - cells look to be: 8.4mm X 60.5mm X 261mm

Wouldnā€™t 10S either be: 650mm X 261mm or 325mm X 522mm

Over 10" wide either way?

Actually 303mm, not 325mm. But still close to 12" on that one.

Looks cool, but a 10s pack would be 4kg/8.8lbsā€¦ a bit much for my needs. Cost aside - too heavy. Smaller (capacity) and ligher cells with half the weight and compromise on range would be a neat option.

Thereā€™s comprises and benefits. Looking from the cost perspective these are much cheaper based on cycle life.

I didnā€™t compare the weight and ah of these with lipo but I assume these are more energy dense ā€¦more ah per ounce. Multistar had the best ratio of lipo and lg2 were much better and a 3500ah cell even better. Lion having more energy to weight

Copper tabs!

Slim at (2) 10ah stacked.

The biggest downside is the lack of power I fear these would have with the sag unless I go big. Changed my mind on these. Had my hand on the card. Think I like to collect batteries. But for just a slightly lower powered slim board theyā€™d be great

I donā€™t see how these will result in a more compact pack than round cells. They are 26cm long and 6cm wide - that is huge. Even if you stack them and use two stacks next to each other they are basically the same size as a neatly stacked 18650 pack.

1 Like

These have very low energy density. For every pouch, you can fit at least 7 cells (Iā€™m assuming 18650 are squares). That means that for a 36V 15Ah pack you can fit a 36V 17.5Ah pack if you use GA cells you can get 24.5Ah and 70A cont discharge, if you get VTC6 you get 21Ah and 210A cont discharge

these cells are 150% the square mm to energy of a typical 3ah 18650 cell. weird. not much in them.

these are 9.9 x 60 x 260mm for 15ah so 105,300 square mm. compared to the volume of (5)18650 cells at 18 x 65 x 90 and 154,440 square mm

Hey, the chemistry is the same as in the common 18650 cells. Its Li(Ni1/3Co1/3Mn1/3)O2 used as cathode material (NMC). As a battery chemist I would not recommend using these cells.

i) A 10 Ah pouch cell is way more vulnerable than a 3000 mAh cylindrical cell with a hard metal case. Blowing up a 10 Ah cell is not funny, i can assure you.

ii) It was already mentioned that the pouch cells are prone to gasing. ItĀ“s actually the same case with the cylindrical cells but pouch cells do not have a safety valve to release the gas. The risk to crack your case because of a blown up cell is likely.

iii) A stack of these cells is generating much more heat, especially when drawing to much current. The heat dissipation could be an issue though.

iiii) 5C (=50 Amps) constantly drawn from one cell will destroy the material very fast. I would not go with more than 2 C for each cell.

For that reasons I would recommend to stick with the 18650s or in the near future with 20700 cells from the gigafactory :wink:

Best

4 Likes

thanks for the info, I kind of jumped the gun at the idea of a bendable light pack