[Lights] Kaly's recent crash got me thinking

And I realized there’s a miss about where you guys mount your lights.

Sure you mount them where it’s practical and where you can ! But just because you see where you’re going doesn’t mean you’re correctly seen by others, specially at cross sections.

Let’s take the approach from a driver’s perspective : road vehicles have main front lights around 1 meter up from the ground. Subsidiary lights like fog lights or off road lights are down the bumper or up on the roof, but main lights from a car perspective are closer to the belt, not the feet nor the head.

So how come we don’t have belt / hips lights options already ? With led strips and all it would be a nice additional safety gear, so dumb drivers get the info in their dumb head that “Oh there’s something coming”.

Might make a difference, hopefully.

Peace :v:t4:

1 Like

Amazon eBay etc sell light up arm cuff bands. I think these are key for this exact situation. Lights can be seen from far away but if you’re too close, a car can’t see the board lights on the ground.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017WGIDM6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uKCSCb12P2FT2

3 Likes

Thanks for the link, I’ll get some ! Plus that’s pretty compact, must be easy to attach anywhere.

1 Like

Shamefully I haven’t gotten any yet. Seems like a great time to get some…

FOR @Kaly!

3 Likes

I was gonna make an Arduino remote with a light baton as an indicator, blink for brakes and ripple for indicators so I can just point it where I’m going…like a small red lightsaber

2 Likes

You guys should check out the TTL project by @Ricco. It’s got some nice features and looks like a really well thought out project.

2 Likes

Lights need to be up high, like near your helmet.

2 Likes

Yup. Light up the important stuff. The ole think tank.

2 Likes

@LazyRolling has a few cool things out too!

9 Likes

(((use code NIGHTRIDE to get 50 dollars off when buying halos and glow wheels)))

this comment was not sponsored.

2 Likes

The lazyrolling halos are awesome. Dont be like me and wear them on your ankles.

Is confirm, am idiot.

12 Likes

I put these Ryde Safe strips on my helmet as well.

5 Likes

@akhlut up high is good but not enough, it’s not lined up with drivers lights so they don’t instinctively understand “a vehicle or assimilated is there” and it delays their reaction.

IMHO it’d be best to wear midway lights around the 1meter line above the ground, so people see you properly + you carry your truck or/and helmet lights to see where you’re going.

Edit : I mean, wearing white and red lights at the belt might look goofy but at least that’s super evident signals.

1 Like

Wear high-viz clothing, reflective tape, etc. Theres alot you can do without lights. Think about what runners wear at night. Or cyclists. Small bright red binking lights. Shit has to be super bright to cut through car headlights.

2 Likes

https://flipbelt.com/running-light

more options…

https://www.amazon.com/Running-Reflective-Rechargeable-Lightweight-Multi-use/dp/B07L8FZJ3X/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_200_tr_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TAB0C72TF75HYT18HSHJ

and there are clip-on lights as well that you attach to your belt, pants or wherever

5 Likes

All good ideas, then why not do both ? As long as it’s direct source of light, human eye will see it at night even under big ass headlights flare.

This is exactly what I had in mind lol and it looks better than I thought, thanks for the link !

1 Like

I use a hand held light that not only helps light up the road but also use it to make sure drivers know im there by waving the light at them, i also use it to tell the group where we are turning kinda like a turning signal.

2 Likes

Im nt saying either or. Im saying find a best practice thats been working for millions of people already and adapt that. Lights are good. High viz is good.

1 Like

Same. Handheld flashlight is one of the best tools at night.

2 Likes