LiIon fire survivor

Yes it was my first one. Very satisfying hobby…fell in love from day one. And honestly, there was a second board planed. I already ordered some parts. My summer vacation is close. Will take a break from some weeks, than get a garage or workshop and than just hope that all parts will arrive one after each other. Maybe I should start a build threat next time?:thinking: Got so much input from this forum. If to post my progress, people could directly say me if it is good or bad what I produced.

6 Likes

Please do! I’m gonna go buy some fire blankets

2 Likes

That sounds scary. I’m definitely going to use a xt-90 for my loop and an xt-60 for the charge port.

1 Like

… Or just put a fuse on the loopkey instead of sliming down the wires. Less hassle.

1 Like

That wouldn’t help in my case. I would need a fuse on the charge wires

It would. Current has to travel thru something when you put that key in, plus and minus short would blow it

I think fuses at the start of all the charge wires and balance leads is a great idea. My current build will have them.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/littelfuse-inc/0251002.MXL/F2314-ND/700729

No because the short was on the charge wires. If I would put a fuse in the anti spark +wire it would not have any effect. This wire was not shorted…if I would short this wire it would be how it should be, just switch on…

Don’t see a reason to fuse balance leads. It’s what, 22awg usually. They just will burn out in a second and nothing will happen. They already like small fuses😉 To fuse the charge and discharge wires makes sense though.

1 Like

I hammered a nail into a lipo. It didn’t light on fire, only bubbles.

I’m a survivor.

2 Likes

Last i checked the charge wires are the packs plus and minus poles. Unless you’re talking about balance leads or something

Need this lipos!!! Which one you have???:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I meant that the wires which go from your bms to the parallel cell packs to balance them don’t need a fuse

I am glad that you are ok and nobody was hurt.

I’m sorry about all your wasted hard work you put into that board though :frowning:

This is something i learned from the automotive industry: ALWAYS design/create things so that they are impossible to plug in the wrong way.

I know that everyone here loves the plain bullet connectors, but it leaves so much room for error. And like you said, it only takes 3 seconds of not paying attention. At least use two different sized bullet connectors.

The funny thing is, I work with electronics every day at work. There everything double three times safes with fuses, Relais etc…like for idiots that nothing can happen…with my own build I didn’t made anything, wanted to use xt60 for charg leads…didn’t used xt60 because I had holders only for xt90…so stupid. The idea to just swap one to male one to female is so easy but didn’t came in my head…shit happen always when you don’t think about it, so yes always crest everything that really every idiot can’t make anything wrong and even if than there is a safety mechanism which cut of everything

I do the same thing on my builds man. It’ a habbit i’m trying to break, but its just in my nature to finish shit as fast as possible lol.

When it’s for myself I tend to think like “oh i’ll always check”, or “only idiots would connect it wrong”.

1 Like

I just watched a battery making video a day or two ago. The guy put a different XT on charge port and the on/off XT just so he won’t plug in the wrong thing

Try to get rid off this habit :sweat_smile: Without to say you an idiot, there can be always the idiot second which can make the impossible possible…:thinking: Kind of rhetoric :joy::see_no_evil:

Not generally no. In my case I don’t have a BMS so my balance leads go all the way out to the charge port. I will add them just because the run is so long. A short in 22GA wire could do a lot of ancillary damage.

Also, the fuse I cited is 2A. If your charger supports more than that adjust accordingly.

@Andy87, very needed safety reminder! Appreciate your story.

1 Like