Lime Scooter Clone Build Options

So my board was dead earlier today and I wanted something to eat so I hopped on one of the 50 lime scooters in front of my house and used it to ride to the bagel shop near my house. I’ve never ridden an electric scooter before and it blew my mind a little. I’ve seen a couple threads about building one but I don’t think they really got anywhere. I’m no joke actually considering building one of these, as it’s a change from skateboards, maybe not for the better but it’s cool to ride something else. Any ideas on a good hub motor, throttle, and frame for the scooter? I have a spare Vesc laying around and a couple of lipos, thought I’d give it a shot.

5 Likes

Bump

10char

You can make these with esk8 and ebike parts but the scooter design is not very stable at higher speeds, I’d much rather be on an esk8. I’ve ridden the LimeS and Bird scooters too and they feel shakey and unstable AF compared to an esk8

1 Like

one accident, and living in GCC with barely any bike lanes, 20$ well spent on an old micro kickboard, 2 days of fiddeling, 1 hour real work . 10 hours de rusting and wolla . nvm the picture is too shit to show to every one. pm me. or wait and ill edit this post with a clean pic

2 Likes

This is a “DIY” forum, nothing is too improvised to show :smiley:

4 Likes

Just steal one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You can lock a scooter…not a esk8

Check out Skate Kastle. You can totally lock an Esk8. This guy is designing them for boosteds, but it can be designed to work on any truck. https://skatekastle.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fboosted-board-u-lock-limited-edition

3 Likes

looks cool!

you are actually locking your front trucks and deck, everything else is up for grabs

1 Like

If they want to disassemble the whole thing on the spot. Most of thievery is opportunistic. If they can’t carry it off, then it’s not as attractive a target.

Also grenades. We should come up with a way to use grenades in an anti-theft system.

3 Likes

Imo China’s Escooter market is so advanced that any prebuilt will be cheaper than a DIY of the same capability. That’s why most don’t do DIY scooters

1 Like

That was me as a kid. I literally was too lazy to walk home from school on a hot summer day, looked for two bikes on the rack, one kid locked just a wheel, another kid locked only the frame, I took off a frame with rear wheel and took off the front wheel off the other, put them together and rode home with a completed bike. I was such an a-hole (still am, I just don’t steal), I lived diagonally across from the police station and just left the bike there so it would be returned…a few days later the bikes were back and fully locked…these “opportunities” are real life R&D.

The skate lock is a deterrent. Hopefully no one gets one thinking it would be safe to just leave it there for extended period of time.

1 Like

For the boosted, he made locks for the battery and esc enclosure, and you cant take off the rear truck w/ it installed. You can totally secure every aspect of your build if you want to, but why would you want to leave a 2 thousand dollar board outside.

1 Like

index I dont have a reason to say NO. i added a small video trying outmy gopro.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYsZxstSeWU

2 Likes

image I built this last year with a “hoverboard” hub motor and wheel, about 800w, top speed of maybe 10 or 15mph, 10s. it’s good fun, when i built my board i ceded it to my siblings, but i’ve got to fix it first :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wish this was the mentality of thieves here… I lost three bikes in one year in this town. All with at least 2 locks. One was in a cage with two locks… but we also have some of the highest per capita bike theft in the nation.

Did you use a vesc ?? If yes how did you link it to tes throttle ?? Thanks man

Skaters are scum…

2 Likes

Hello, I never got further than the planning stage just because esk8 is far superior. If you were going to do this though I would recommend looking on ebay, as there are complete e-scooter mechanical and electrical kits

1 Like