Lock's Trampa | This one's going to take a while

Weather is better now I’m going to charge up the battery’s and head out. I still have the yellows out I might put them in the back only and see will that make it better

1 Like

Seeing about 4.2v sag pulling 47.8a out of the battery, or about 0.35v per cell. From the specs (a123 26650, 2p) and discharge tests I’ve seen, this was pretty much to be expected.

Can understand why voltage sag is frowned upon, kind of makes it feel like the board struggles a bit. Struggle isn’t quite the right word though, it was still capable of accelerating up the rather steep hill faster than I was comfortable with. Max duty cycle was around 80% in the above.

3 Likes

I took out the Dampas and stuck on a 125kv motor 43.2km/h no wobbles felt good that was flat out on this i won’t get it any faster.

I am riding too now without dampas and after several days I can say if you train your legs enough it works perfectly fine :wink: First days I was getting shaking because of higher speeds :smiley:

1 Like

It’s getting dark rather early around these parts, means not a lot of riding. Need to hook up some lights. Took it out for a short spin the other day and managed to hit the 95% duty cycle. Was going up a decent hill so the voltage sag knocked a few km/h off the speed. Max power across both VESCs was about 1700w this ride.

Max duty cycle is an interesting point. The board got there with me holding the throttle to about 65%, then it stops accelerating so you pull the trigger some more, but the board just doesn’t go any faster.

So @hornet90 and @Kug3lis convinced me to drop the dampas. I just assumed the dampas were a fairly soft elastomer, but even the yellow ‘soft’ ones are quite a hard rubber. There really is quite a stark contrast between dampas vs no dampas. Difference in turning radius is immediately evident, I can now do a u-turn in my skinny street. On the other hand, lets just say it’ll take quite a while before I’m hitting max speed again :grimacing:.

Definitely feels like there should be an intermediate offering. Will think about drilling out the dampas depending on how I get on.

1 Like

I guess it is all weight and terrain dependent, but the yellow dampas added much needed stability to my board. I ran without dampas first, but often had speed wobbles at around 30 km/h. With dampas I can reach full speed on pavement and off-road/around 46 km/h. I have to work the board harder but I have no issues carving or turning (only at low speed).

Yeah, unfortunately I think it’ll be a compromise. Finding some middle ground between high speed stability, and making it round the turns I’d like to. In my short no dampa test ride I didn’t venture above 15-20km/h. Need to see how (if) I can deal with the increased responsiveness.

1 Like

I’m hitting 42kmh with out wobbles 42 is the max speed on that board

I might try Dampas just in the back

1 Like

Dampas in rear truck only is definitely an option to consider.

3 Likes

After a speed wobble crash last year, i’m allso considering putting my yellow dampas in the back, of my Urban Carver. That got me thinking. When turning, is it most the front truck that turnes the most, or do front and rear turn the same amount ?

I read some time ago that drilling holes vertically makes them bit more squishier so I have mad some holes in yellow dampas but at the moment everything is mounted on urban carver, and urban carver for me is more than stable compared to my full eMtb

P.S. From my understanding front is more important in turning. But back also contributes, I was riding inner position and with yellow dampas, back without dampas so at higher speed I felt my back bit wobbly :slight_smile:

So it sounds like with dampas only in the back, i still have okay turning… I try that…

Yeah, but i doubt it will prevent front wobbling :slight_smile:

yeah … but i thought that speedwobbles typically was from the back ?

Speed wobbles actually start in both trucks and you amplify them, becoming part of the system. The more relaxed you are, the less issues you have. Fear makes you stiffer in your legs, your body is trying to work against board movements rather than going with them. In consequence it is working as an amplifier of truck resonances. The more relaxed your ankles become, the better. Dampas reduce wobble a lot but will decrease turning radius. So it’s a matter of finding the correct balance. I can hit 35km/h without any dampas, springs in inner position. In outer position 40+ is fine for me, with dampas some riders hit 50-60 km/h. I don’t think the fun of riding the carver is in the top speed, but rather in the carving and accelerating out of turns. It should be easy to find a nice setup matching your ride style. Once the board becomes part of yourself, you will feel a lot more comfortable at higher speeds. Trying different setups will help you to understand your board a lot better. I highly recommend to experiment a bit. Always apply a good portion of spring pre-tension. Inner position: Adjuster flush with deck as minimum.

Stay safe, ride with protective gear and clear of any obstacles, pedestrians and cars! Reduce your speed to your personal abilities. Get yourself informed about the legal situation in your country/region.

3 Likes

At the moment both front and rear spring is in the outer hole, without dampas, and adjusted flush with the deck. If i want to try with my yellow dampas in the rear truck, would you then start with the inner hole postition ? And still adjusted flush with the deck ??

Everything is possible. That really depends on your expectations. I would go for outer with dampas installed.

1 Like

Ok, so turns out it didn’t take too long at all to be back cruising at top speed.

Had speed wobbles a few times, usually after hitting a rock or something but also under heavy acceleration. Staying relaxed and letting the board ‘wander’ seems to be the trick, but of course your fighting against some natural tendencies to freeze up.

35km/h seems good to me, any faster and I’d start to get a bit more worried about consequences of coming off. The way I see it no matter how experienced you are it’s highly probable you’ll crash at some point. “When” not “if” as we’d used to say racing bikes. Besides I’d have to buy new pulleys, so it can stay like this for now.

Turning is really quite nice now, it just felt like hard work before. T-intersections in bike paths are a breeze at low speed, before it was a ‘stop and poke the front of the board around with my foot turn’.

Think I’m a no dampa convert, but appreciate the need for those that go faster.

I wonder would a dampa cup designed at an angle make it possible to have the springs mounted at the inner position deckside & outer truckside give the stability yet carve

A simple mod but maybe longer springs and damp as would be needed too

I reckon the next thing I try may be no dampas with springs in outer position front and back (currently outer back, inner front, no dampas). It’s the front that seems to get a bit twitchy. But I’ll give it time, seems ok’ish after an hour or so riding, maybe it’ll be fine with a bit more practice. Pneumatics may help too, some of the hard hits seem to initiate wobbles especially when turning.

In theory springs should provide a linear force to turn relationship. Something like a dampa (or traditional skate bushing) will be non-linear, the further you turn, the harder it is to turn more. However on a Trampa you couple them both together effectively reducing the non-linearity of the dampas. Maybe what we really need is to be able to run something like dampas without the springs?

Not sure these Trampas were really designed with top speed in mind. Still plenty of fun under 40km/h.

1 Like