Long throw headlights, what has worked best for you? Shredlights (etc), Bike Lights, Flashlights, custom?

Dope chin mount, dude! I’m going to try mounting mine on top of my helmet and see how that goes.

The light itself is actually pretty sweet. Especially for the price. Good beam pattern, giant battery pack, decent color temp. But holy crap that app is dumpster fire.

I’d have put it on top if not for that visor… Made everything complicated lol.

I’m checking out the power draw. at 7.2v started at 2a, dropped quickly to 1.6a, then to 1.3a, and about a minute later we’re down to 1.2a, and there it stays.

Hmm… It’ll do better when moving, but if lumens is proportional to amps, that’s 960lumens, which is okay if the beam is tight. I’ll get to try it out soon enough I guess. The next one up is 3200 lumens but if we’re thermal throttling, I’d be surprised if it was much brighter in practice.

I agree, form factor is great, tint is great, beam pattern looks a bit floodier than I’d like for this application, but nice.

sigh these magicshine got me. with the ebay 15% coupon I nabbed the 906b light only.

The 902b is good but not quite enough light to see road hazards at speed.

This time at 8.4v, starts at 4.25a, drops quickly to 3.78a (35watt!!) and steps down about 0.5a every 10-20 seconds all the way down to 1.35 (hot hot hot). Very respectable amount of light. I’m worried the lumens are just widening the beam though. Will see soon enough if it’s an improvement.

2 x 30q is about 22wh, which should give me about 30min usable I think, which is perfect for my 16 minute evening commute.

I’m gonna have to deal with the phone app though… At 3200 lumen I need to tweak the settings to have 2 levels: max, half. And get rid of that strobe.

Oh btw the chin mount is great. :slight_smile:

Yo getting an old thread bumped !

I noticed everybody here do mount their lights on baseplate or on top of board. Which means when you carve, you don’t light up in the direction you’re going but straight forward of the board instead.

So I got this random idea : how about a light mount designed like a motor mount ? So when you lean, your lights follow where you’re going instead of lagging “behind”. Should be easy to 3D print too right ? What cons do you see with this solution ?

1 Like

No real issue with this idea. It might be more difficult to design and look right. Integrating something into a riser is easy. Mounting the lights lower on truck will also decrease the illuminated range when they are lower to the ground

1 Like

Hi everyone! Thanks for the tips. I use VITCHELO V800 Headlamp it’s very useful and the best hunting headlamp for me. It’s great for running, jogging camping and hunting. You also should try to use it.

When one of you guys hits the lottery, I want 2 of these for my birthday :)…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079MHQHHG/ref=sspa_dk_detail_8?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B079MHQHHG&pd_rd_w=UpXdf&pf_rd_p=f0dedbe2-13c8-4136-a746-4398ed93cf0f&pd_rd_wg=7hDMp&pf_rd_r=4YEPGVY6CBBK2F5HQ3X1&pd_rd_r=44d82f0a-249b-11e9-be91-c98cce466c71

2 Likes

I’ve tried high power LED’s flash lights. The biggest problem for guys like us in the south is that they produce alot of heat.

1 Like

It’s less heat than a piece of tungsten wire heated until it glows white! :slight_smile:

Never had any success with those cheap flashlights. They all short out eventually from vibration.

I’m testing an idea using the led’s from a couple flashlights I had left. Hardwiring better connections should be more resistant to the abuse.

4 Likes

Check this out for the backlight, its surprisingly bright https://www.ebay.com/itm/3W-Red-Blue-COB-Chip-LED-Panel-Light-DC-3V-Strip-Lamp/172637599665?hash=item283200b7b1:m:mAPnJIPJSYgHQCAQuAyhgtA

And since its only 3w you can power it from your vesc port I was planning to use this but it fried it connecting it to 5 and 3.3v at the same time :man_facepalming: Just glue it to the back truck and you will have a nice light :slight_smile:

If you have any old dead shread lights you can remove the battery and hard wire it to a3.7v stepdown connect it to the battery.

like so

20190314_233533 20190314_233648 20190312_190552 20190312_204405

7 Likes

Really like these leds, found tons of sizes on Aliexpress

Are they slight flexible?

Yes, but i would guess that if you bend them too much they will break

My idea was to make them follow the curvature of the nose and tail of the Hummie deck, it may be too much

For 80cents why not try? Also they are waterproof if you insulate the contacts if i remember well

1 Like

An amazing little light, comes with 2 batteries and magnetic charging, great brightness, water proof, etc. I also purchased the OLIGHT FB-1 Universal Flashlight Bike Mount for Flashlight (Bike Lightining Mount Accessories), it holds great to my board, truck mounted or through the vertigo truck mount and the nose of the Trampa Holy Pro (the way I use it).

SL1500 SL1000

1 Like

I need this. Missing one of my front lights tho.

Me too, always wanted to conveniently use the output on the vesc but cautioned against that.

I’d love a separate on board battery for my lights.
Hate removing lights to charge. I always forget to check thier power level or end up forgetting to put back on the board.