Looking for chromebook developers for BLDC tool

I know I don’t need the tool to turn on but it’s annoying to borrow someone else’s pc every time I need to adjust something

Chrome OS is a highly modified version of Ubuntu/Linux and it’s inky terminal is called crosh and you can’t even download stuff from it without going into developer mode

1 Like

My school uses chromebooks too lol. Hate them so much

1 Like

They are good for basic tasks but not good for coding and running programs as it only used the play store and chrome store

Just get a basic laptop with windows 7. Chromebook are basically made for one person and that is old people who still have an aol.com email account and everyone else in there family is trying to switch them over to gmail

1 Like

Nah I like my chromebook. Works fine except for certain programs.

anyone have any ideas??

Chrome OS uses web based extensioms (basically chrome apps) they do not have access to hardware layer so no apart some kind TCP bridge to serial or uart to bluetooth to phone app to tcp

darn thats what i was afraid of

Oh wait sorry I am wrong there is specific extension for hardware layer :smiley:

https://developer.chrome.com/apps/app_serial

oh wow i gotta look through that, thanks

is there a way to impirt the bldc tool into https format?

i can code using the dev app to get access to the vesc but i still need the bldc tool

It’s rude to tell folks to change their computer. It’s usually a hallmark of apple people - but either way, if he likes chromebooks, that’s fine. I think they should be more popular, honestly. If I didn’t use my computer for work and need a faster one, I’d probably use a chromebook or multiple chromebooks.

1 Like

I am an apple user however I use and maintain Windows OS at work to run analytical instruments. Chromebooks are a simple alternative to a PC where you don’t need all the crazy specs and just want it to surf the web then yes chromebooks are fine but if you need to run any sort of program or want to load a program it is far easier and more cost effective to get a refurbed win7 system for a few hundred bucks. I would have suggested to virtualbox the bldc tool as it is compatible several different OS’s you could try virtualbox as chromebooks are a linux based OS then you can load a windows VM and run the normal bldc.

Wow ok I will definitely read up on this

Although it appears the chromebook has to be in developer mode to get the virtual box.

could you run the linux version of bldc tool on raspbian? i bet you could with a bit of cajoling if it doesn’t work out of the box.

if so, get raspberri pi for like $30.

1 Like

That’s not really a solution unless he wants to buy a Windows license.

hell i might try this just for shits and giggles.

@dg798 how much u gonna pay me if i figure it out?