M1 battery won't charge

Hej.

I’m trying to resolve this with customer support but since it will take some time to sort out, I thought I might ask here to see if anyone knows what is wrong and maybe even knows how to fix it? Any help is very appreciated! I’m not very tech savvy and google was not my friend regarding this issue.

Some info:

*The battery was not in the board while charging.

*Battery was empty and was charging fine until I had to disconnect it due to continuing my ride. Battery level was at 60% when disconnected. I have two batteries and continued my ride with the other one

*When I arrived at home and put it in the charger again, it would not charge anymore.

*Took a short ride to see if the battery was working at all. The board took off but even tough the battery level was at 60%, I was getting the low battery vibration from the controller. Stopped immediately to not damage the battery any further.

*The other battery is working fine, which rules out the charger, I guess?

I spoke to a friend who is into RC and drones and he said it might be a “balance issue” and asked me to open the battery and check inside. Depending on the answer from support, I might do just that but maybe there is a easy fix?

Any ideas?

I am not an alectrician but this sound more like broken BMS IMO

1 Like

Tanks for your reply. Sounds like a fairly reasonable scenario. If I’ll open it up, I’ll try to bypass the BMS and se if the battery starts charging again.

I found this thread about a guy who built his own custom pack, without BMS : M1 custom battery pack.. I’ve shot him a message but hasn’t got at reply. If I understand him correctly there is overcharge protection in the charger and the board itself will warn me before the battery is critically low. What I don’t get, is how the batteries are balanced? Isn’t there a chance that single cells will be destroyed because of to low voltage without a BMS?

The cells are balanced during charging by the BMS inside the battery pack, during the discharging low voltage is monitored by the ESC, but the ESC moniotrs all 12 cells together, not just every one of the cells, so yeah, after discharging, the might be small differences between voltage of each cell, but not big enough to harm them…

1 Like

Aha. So the BMS isn’t really super necessary? At least not in the short run? So no danger in testing the battery without BMS for a while?

What do you mean by testing? asnd which battery? the black swapable battery pack of InBoard m1 has the BMS inside from what I know

1 Like

Yes it is inside :slight_smile: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/fake-12s1p-battery-on-the-inboard/9659

1 Like

To test if it is a faulty BMS or not, I thought I could open the battery, disconnect the BMS and try to use the battery without it. Not a good idea?

Summer up in the northern Europe is very short so if I can fix the battery my self, without having to deal with sending the battery over the Atlantic, back and forth, that would be nice solution.

Just hold on tight for Inboard to sort this out. You don’t want to void your warranty and end up paying for Inboard’s mistake.

2 Likes

@Pantologist he is probably right :slight_smile: But you can spend your time on making your own battery pack instead :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would probably be the best choice but as I mentioned, summer is short and I would really like to have both batteries during this time.

I got a kickstarter version of the board, which means that warranty is a bit tricky for me. I have to send the battery to America for evaluation before I can get a new one and I’m guessing that might take som time. I’m currently waiting on reply from inboard.

But yeah, I think i’ll just follow your advice and sit back. Maybe try to build my own pack as @aigenic mentioned. :slight_smile:

Inboard scandinavia handled the issue with my motor breaking down. I got a brand new board as replacement :slight_smile: