MAD Fury. MAD hubs Direct Drive conversion

Holy crap… yep that’s fucked.

Yeh mine were fine, this motors ask more, now not sure of that can be the reason. My battery is rather small 12s3p

Are the 7 little parts that you see still intact in the other vesc that blew. What are they?

IMG_20190209_164104

These little bastards IMG_20190209_164658

Do you have a before pic of how everything was laid out.

1 Like

These Parts are ceramic capacitors (google “MLCC”). They smooth out the battery voltage for the VESC. One probably had in internal short from the vibrations and catched on fire.

1 Like

Same thing happened to me except I’m missing the whole corner.

2 Likes

In the automotive industry they use a special type of ceramic capacitor which fails in an open circuit rather than in an short circuit and therefore does not catch fire.

2 Likes

not a close one, but I have been using same setup and setting with my previous motors.

Thanks! Yeh apparently one vesc burn, antispark broken (no visible signs of fire ecc but doesn’t work anymore. Could it be the first cause for the short? I know they are not really reliable at 12s.

I immediately thought to your situation. Also the antispark is gone, while the other vesc seems to work just fine. Not sure if buy another 6.6 or move to like unity. I sold my spare 6.6 last week otherwise no doubt to try it again.

I’m gonna blame it on myself and get another one. Coat it in conformal and if it blows up again, I’ll give up on 6.6.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a problem with using an anti spark switch. It probably just died because of the huge current that was flowing thru it due to the short in the VESC.

MLCCs tend to fail like that when the PCB they are mounted on are flexing/bending to much.

well I secured the vescs with velcro and added foam to damp vibrations. My battery is rather small 12s3p not such a huge current compare way bigger set up. So annoying… Thanks for the suggestions.

yeh I think I will switch to another type of vesc. I need to trust anyway. Otherwise I do not ride confident. Good that the other vesc looks fine, tested now and everything works. So probably the issue was the other vesc and not the antisparks.

If you r not gonna use it, wanna sell it to me for cheap? Shipping is gonna be terrible tho :thinking:

Maybe the PCB is prebend because of the mounted heatsink but i don’t own a VESC 6.6 so i’m just speculating…

I think I can ship it for like 10 euro. Not tracked though.

it looks flat to me but who knows

I was wondering what the position of antispark was relative to the VESC. Was it placed on top of the VESC?

Also if the antispark blew first, then there is no way for the current to go back to the battery. If you were braking then, there would be voltage spikes in the vesc, blowing it up.

On way to get confidence is built a bench test. With your skills and setup, you can easily build one. They do those thorough air crash investigation is because they can’t just change everything for peace of mind. It is important to be able to pinpoint.

The antispark was on top. Never thought about a bench test setup. I was going to buy a 30V 10A bench power supplier to test out vesc and motors but I would need a really pwerfull one to put them under stress.

One minute of silence

IMG_20190209_194206

6 Likes