Maytech Vesc, intermittent booting up

If you have a good heatsink on the top and bottom of the FETS would you still need to remove the heatshrink?

Iā€™d say no. You already solved a big part of the problem. I would be a little worried about the drv though. If it gets cooked youā€™re dead. Then againā€¦ I may be too cautious just because I run maytechs xD

So do I need to heatsink the drv as well? Seems like thatā€™s what everybody burnsā€¦not the mosfets.

AFAIK there is no way you can put a heatsink on the drv. Only on the fets

WRONG. my heatsink cools the fets and the drv. itā€™s a bit ghetto but just find the thickest thermal pads you can find and stack until they contact the drv and heatsink. it helps a crazy amount

also about this heatshrink thingā€¦ i donā€™t think thatā€™s trueā€¦ i rode both my vescs with heatshrink without an issue. why would the manufacturer spend the extra $$ if it negatively effected the performance? if youā€™re pushing your vescs so hard that heatshrink becomes a problem, you need to change your settingsā€¦

2 Likes

Well, thatā€™s one way to do itā€¦

About thatā€¦ Iā€™d rather take the heatshrink off and not be thrown off my board because of a piece of plastic than keeping it on and faceplanting thank you very much.

Maytech vescs make you paranoid(in every positive sense of the word).

if the vesc overheats it doesnā€™t slam the brakes. iā€™ve experiences it. it thermal throttles just like a computer. it will not push itself to death, unless something in your setup is wrong.

2 Likes

Same here. Iā€™ve had some weird moments when I had cutouts and such. But those issues were non vesc related. There is a common misconception that maytechs are so bad you should never go near them. I say it depends on the person himself. If you respect your hardware and treat it like you do there is no room for failure. Same goes for batteries. Especially lipoā€™s.

I have a maytech vesc and itā€™s been working great. I had a problem in the beginning, I was having intermittent cut out problems. It powered up normally but after I was rolling it would start stuttering The problem was that the receiver was too close to the vesc. Itā€™s now located as far as the receiver cable will allow. Itā€™s working great now, no probs. This is just my 2 cents

1 Like

Same here.

Iā€™ve not used my board for about two weeks. Recently I started boarding again and was having cut outs. I moved the receiver around and it got a little better. Before this the receiver was in the same place and I had zero problems. After a few days no more jittering/stuttering at speed. Guess it was just a little rusty. :rofl:

So, yeahā€¦ this Maytech makes no sense. Acts like a loose connection. Intermittent issues of booting up correctly (blue and a green when signal detected) and not booting up and displaying blue and red light side by side. LED battery display works and shows % correctly. All voltages are good. Its like it just sometimes kicks in and sometimes wonā€™t. Thing thats so weird is that when it finally works (after 15min of on/off, rotating it, moving it away from other stuff. restarting controller, lying it on its back, on its frontā€¦) when it works, it works for miles. No cut outs. No judders. No issues. Its like its totally a boot up software issue and when it finally boots ok, its perfect.

So, feck it. I need a Focbox. Why on earth are they sooooooo expensive!?

Does this also happen when you have no receiver connected?

yeah, same with no receiver

Hmmā€¦ My vesc was having cutouts and jittering at high speed. Turned out to be a receiver problem. Seems to me youā€™ve got a bad batch of vesc. Maybe itā€™s something that you did recently that triggered it? My jittering and cogging problem began when i disconnected the motor for service. My maytech has been running strong for about a year. Nothing major I canā€™t fix. (Iā€™m lucky I know hehe)

1 Like

Yeah, id say this one is fecked. Its doesnt make any sense and intermittent stuff drives me mad. Lifes too short for this farting around.

1 Like

You mean ā€˜ā€˜Focā€™ing aroundā€™ā€™.

1 Like

hahahahahaha yes indeed

1 Like