MBS MATRIX II truck failure

Group buy ? :wink: Iā€™m in.

1 Like

Beta prototype will be on your way soon !!! We are going back to Basics here Itā€™s going to be FUN :grin: :grin: :grin:

13 Likes

Denzel%20small

Will need a Kaly Direct Drive for MBS Matrix II Truck if you donā€™t already have itā€¦:wink: @Kaly

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about bro ! Have a blast.

1 Like

Interesting. How many miles/km did you putt on this drive system before this happened? When you flipped the hanger did you tighten the kingpin down very much? Compared to my trucks, it looks like there are 1-2 more threads showing on your kingpin, so Iā€™m wondering if you may have slightly overtightened the kingpin on reassembly and put extra strain on the kingpin holes in the baseplate. While it does appear that there may have been a small manufacturing defect in the baseplate, Iā€™m just wondering if there are any other factors involved, or if you just got a lemon. Like others have said, Iā€™ve read about maybe one other account of a baseplate breaking on the Matrix 2ā€™s, and after inspecting my trucks, I noticed a nice deep gouge in the baseplate from something I must have hit pretty hard. But no other damage besides that. Iā€™d get another cartilage and try it again. Might have just been bad luck.

20180813_114719

1 Like

I agree does look like a tight kingpin nutā€¦

Anywho on your piccy kinda looks like a cavity has been revealed in the middle of that gouge :mag: mbsbubble

I suspect its common for that part to be not full fill and that could explain the cold weather cracking that has been mentioned.

1 Like

@Mobutusan : the trucks had less that two months riding, and I rode it less than 200 km. Iā€™m 100% sure I took care not to tighten the kingpin too much, because I knew it is bad and Iā€™m used to unmount TRAMPA trucks (and tightening kingpin too much kills bushings).

You may be right about the possible impact. When the baseplate broke, I was riding very slowly on a real off-road path with quite big stones. It was the first time with this build. I see a possible impact on the baseplate. I rode many time and faster there with TRAMPA trucks and never had any problem.

IMG_4932

1 Like

Sorry, actually it is not an impact, itā€™s just the plastic that was teared when it brokeā€¦

No impact : IMG_4935

You can see how the opposite side of the baseplate is distorted.

1 Like

Why the hell would they make that plastic?

1 Like

Because it works perfectly fine and is cheaper than aluminium.

As evidenced by this topic it doesnt appear to work perfectly fine.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s not right. Itā€™s here one case where it happened (out of how many they sold till now???). And there is still the question, what caused it to break. No any product is 100% bulletproof

1 Like

If you want to ride on plastic trucks go ahead

I checked out that black spot and itā€™s not a hole or void, just a small piece of plastic casting a shadow I guess. Good eye though.

1 Like

Wow, that is some seriously bent plastic on your other kingpin hole. But it didnā€™t break which is really interesting. I think you must have just gotten a dud that wasnā€™t properly molded on the other side. If youā€™ve got time and tools, it would be interesting to saw through the other kingpin hole and see if the plastic has the same void as the side that broke. If itā€™s solid material all the way through, that would probably confirm you got a defective baseplate.

2 Likes

Hey guyz,

Yes please, orthoptics !!

As I report in e-toxx shop topic when we talk about it, the main problem (I got) is this fkn nuts ā€¦ simply by setting a truck on a deck you could lost your mind :exploding_head:

But seeing this :hushed: and know that I prefer to ride offroad, I will not let the future tell me if yes or not my trucks got a production issue when I will jump like Superman to crash nicely on the floor if this could happen and that now we know itā€¦

Like said above, yes they are already 1000 and 1000 Matrix trucks riding in real MTB condition my mountainboarder and it doesnā€™t seem to happen. But this was with the old production ā€¦ On this new one (red damper, +20mm hanger length) I always got rip issues (I donā€™t set 1000 but) plus this problem of air bubble that could happen any time, anywhere in the piece. I guess Iā€™m porbably not a Fight Club player :sweat_smile:ā€¦ Like you maybe see in NWJPDWUM, we tried to sort out a full alloy version !.. More to comes soon :v:

4 Likes

@Mobutusan : I wait a little to make sure the store doesnā€™t ask me to send them back the baseplate, but then I will cut it looking after other air bubbles in plastic, and Iā€™ll post photos here!

It does not erase the fact there is no other case reported.

@Trampa : just to know, can you tell me it is possible to have air bubble when making parts il Alu?

@Riako : I just put the photos here, cause the link does not point to them :

It looks great!

2 Likes

thatā€™s what I do in urban conditions and so far, Iā€™m good. https://www.instagram.com/p/BlNwGtOgJrk/?taken-by=ridewithokp

3d printed? Be careful, who ever will be using that.

2 Likes

Itā€™s just a prototype. Final version will be alu-made.

1 Like