MBS Metal Matrix II Trucks

Not sure but I think it was when I jumped a gap in the pavement and didn’t quite make it…

1 Like

A couple subtle hints from DW, and from an email from you guys. I’ve been waiting patiently since for a tentative mid-feb early March release :shushing_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the updates! Do you have any plans to offer extended axles as well? Like maybe 10mm longer? I think some of us could use just a bit more axle length to accommodate unconventional wheels/drivetrain situations. Or even some stepped down 9.52/10mm axles for those who want to use smaller street wheels with 22mm OD bearings? Could open up some new Matrix II build options.

4 Likes

Definitely. Some things in the works relating to all that. Not for a while unfortunately, but consider your voice heard.

3 Likes

I’m gonna give them a ride ! Thanks MBS !

Great news that my UNiK motor mounts will fit without any change.

6 Likes

While waiting @Nowind has some nice axle extension for mbs :smiley:

3 Likes

@MBS I own a pair of matrix pros, the gold ones, and been curious of the differences of the two as trampa still does the channel trucks similar to the matrix pros but it appear mbs has moved on to the matrix 2. Shockblocks vs egg shocks/springs, also if anyone else has experience.

Regarding sold vs. hollow, solid are technically stronger. More material = more strength. There’s no way around that. But with respect to bending stresses the outermost fibers carry the vast majority of the load. For pure bending, the fibers at the very center of the axle actually have ZERO stress.

We’ve obviously hollowed out more than the very center fiber, and there are also shear stresses involved which get carried evenly by all the fibers in a cross section, but for all practical purposes, in the course of actual riding it’s safe to say the hollows are as strong as you need. I’d say the hollows are well engineered whereas the solids are over engineered.

Smaller diameter axles (8, 9.5, 10mm) are totally different because the material that is removed (compared to a 12mm axle) is the outermost fibers, the ones that carry the bulk of the load. That’s why those are more likely to bend. But as long as you’re going with a 12mm axle you don’t really have to worry about bending an axle.For the last several years of mountainboarding on these has proved they’re plenty strong. We go pretty big on these things. Joel%20-%20Sydney%20BMX%20Track

The only practical disadvantage to the hollows is that it’s an additional step in the MFG process which adds cost, but for this truck we figured it’s worth it.

Curious to know other people’s thoughts on this though.

Joel

10 Likes

knowing MBS… i’m gonna get a set… and ride them… and in the unlikely event that it breaks… @MBS has done enough to earn my trust. I have faith that they will do whats needed to ensure the situation gets set right. Also… I like weight saving, one of the reason why I ride with lipos and belts. Weight does impact the ride dynamics, done 12s6p went right back to 12s 9000mah lipos :slight_smile: Truely can’t wait to get my hands on the new deck + metal base plate trucks!

5 Likes

I love weight saving too, that’s why I ride like you with lipos and belts on my jump deck. But let’s put my thoughts on it: Here are the specs for Pro image

And Solid truck image

So in total i save 40g? :tipping_hand_man: @mbs can you confirm that the numbers I found are correct? Is it really worth adding one more production step and more money for this some gramm weight saving?

2 Likes

Subjective question…

For mountainboarding we care a lot about spin weight because freestyle is an important part of our sport. Weight losses/gains that are out near near the ends of a board are greatly magnified (rotational inertia), so small differences in the weight of trucks and wheels make a big difference to spin weight. Deck and bindings not as much.

Electric boards on the other hand are so heavy that 40g (60g by my measurement) probably wouldn’t be even be noticed. Just being honest.

Ultimately, our trucks are multipurpose, so hollow axles is what everyone gets for the new Metal Matrix II trucks. When we introduce swappable axles into future designs you’ll be able customize as you see fit.

8 Likes

Yes. Please make this a thing.

4 Likes

Hey Joel @MBS, would you have any interest in bringing some Foot Hookers to market? Like the Freebord S2 bindings, but hopefully better in every possible way? That would be awesome.

1 Like

Still hoping for a launch (at least a product page you guys can buy from) by the end of today. If not then tomorrow. The trucks are in stock and ready to ship.

2 Likes

OK Guys. Sadly our official launch got pushed back one day to March 7th. Just a few more marketing boxes to tick…

But because you guys have been sooooo patient for soooo long, I’ve decided to pre-release just the trucks to just your forum. MBS USA only at this time. Use the product page links below. Please DON’T publish outside this forum! We want to properly launch these at the same time as the other item launching.

BTW, the tech talks that are on there are for the old trucks so ignore that for now. The new tech talks will be live tomorrow.

Thanks for your support and patience!

8 Likes

Thanks for putting in some overtime to get this set up for us :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ordered, thank you!

2 Likes

Ordered as well! Thanks for listening @MBS!

2 Likes

They officially listed now, as min as far as I can see. Price is 34.95$ for the base plate only. The links still say 89$ so just that to clearify it.

If you order don’t forget to use ESK8BUILD15 as discount code to get 15% off :wink:

5 Likes

Hmmm, not sure why that link preview is showing the wrong price. The price for the top truck only is definitely $34.95 (not 89.95). Price on the actual site is accurate. I edited and refreshed the link but no luck. Just ignore.

***EDIT - Ha. Now it’s right.

2 Likes