Mechanical Brake - board Rat - Disc Brakes *Kickstarter*

Whats the efficacy of the brakeboard trucks on the front of the board. I’m guessing a slight adjustment of the lever would be needed so it’s more of a push with the front foot than a vertical weight lever.

This would give 4 wheel braking (friction front + regen back) and would also mean integration with eboards is super simple.

1 Like

The only thing I would be afraid of with a lever on the front is the chance that my momentum makes me accidentally push the brake too hard and flying off the front of the board.

A lever in the back helps you shift your weight accordingly? I don’t know for sure, never tried one before.

These would be awesome on my push board but regen braking is a better option in most cases on esk8s. Either one could street your face i suppose, but regen at least does something green with the energy when its throwing you forward.

2 Likes

Yeah it would really depend on how much modulation the lever has. Haven’t used them myself but I suspect it would work quite well and wouldn’t require much experience to know how to safely use it on the front. Body weight should be towards the back of the board regardless of braking system.

@Brakeboard

Have you ridden the brakeboard so the braking truck is at the front, you know, for science?

1 Like

Hi Ben, Welcome ! I pledged a complete Rat for $130 early Sunday morning. I think I’m backer No. 43. Still debating if I should pledge the longboard set as well?
What happened to another interesting project you had?

Hi Ben!

I am backer #1 :slight_smile:

I tried purchasing more but it only let me purchase one :frowning:

Hi. Thank you for Being backer no.1! The kickstarter site only allows for one pledge per account. You can get a friend to back. Or pledge double the amount for the single board and I’ll ship 2. You will have to remind me at shipping though!

Think this may be good if you want to use an esc without
breaks :thinking:

Yes I was thinking about that. But if you add up the prices, cheap esc + brakeboard and vesc without break board. I still prefer VESC with the regenerative braking and the advancement in the ESC. I am not discouraging to buy, but just being reasonable. But its still pretty cool to have both functionality in one board, only cost is the determining factor.

@Brakeboard - Can you discount on shipping for three to the USA? I purchased one already.

Hi sgaana, lol it was just an ideal I gave a go on Kickstarter but it was too pricy to manufacturer. The downhill community were all for it but the reality is they are a small community so not enough people to make it happen.

I still want to make them. If Brakeboard makes enough this year I’ll consider trying again and cover the losses myself.

Well aside from price…I’m sure a manual brake will give better feed back than the motor breaking…

I could see this if we raced them on a varied hill and sharp corner track

1 Like

I think it would be cool to be able to use this brake through the 2nd channel on the TB mini-remote. Turn the wheel with your thumb or other hand for progressive mechanical braking and when you let go, it disengages completely. Not sure how that would be done, but I like the prospect of it.

Yes, I can. To do that you can pledge for the single one, but add the extra for the additional 2. You will pay for shipping on just one. The only issue is you we need to be vigilant at to remind me when processing the shipping in September. I will be record it here, but it gets hectic when shipping starts.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, But I just saw this on FabTrav’s video and thought it was an interesting mechanical brakes to add to this

Video of it at 6:16

http://www.streetboardz.net/boarderkontrol/product/retro-us/

oh my. ITs a literal emergency brake.

1 Like

I frigging love it. I think. Maybe could use the 2nd unused rx channel and use a strong ball bearing servo.