Melting loop key? SOLVED

Did you test it right now? After i switched the polarity of my xt-90s my 12s setup is working flawlessly in FOC :slight_smile:

Yes I just did. So I think the issue is that there is no “polarity” this loop key is just an interupt in the positive wire. So there is no negative just a positive wire and a wire that is not connected.

There is just a resistor in it, and resistors don’t have a polarity :wink:

1 Like

I just don’t think it works in the specific way I installed it. As an interupt loop key. It just breaks and closes the circuit

I noticed you all used it in a manner that had a negative. My situation has no negative so that’s got to be why it doesn’t work

You mean it should be installed in the negative wire? I cannot test it right now but i would appreciate the result!

I think it needs to be connected to both the negative and positive wire. So just connecting it as an interupt in one wire it will just melt.

Even tho a regular xt90 will be able to close the curcuit, an xt90s won’t it seems in this particular application

Many people use a XT-90S as loop key (= interrupt !?) and have no problems at all. I do run 12S with the wiring i showed above and have no problems… Maybe some faulty XT-90S??

Maybe… can you break one appart and show us whats burned? I really can’t immagine what went wrong here. double checked all your power and balance wires?

1 Like

An interrupt IS connecting positive and negative wire. Do you know how electricity works?

I’d be happy to. Tomorrow though it’s 2:20 am here this thing is keeping me up! Lol

1 Like

Yes I do know how electricity works no need to be rude.

I will post pictures tomorrow about what I’m doing and maybe you’ll get the picture better if I’m not explaining it clearly enough.

Did not mean to be rude. Just wanted to actually ask. This is a serious topic - you are dealing with high voltages AND high amps, so misinformation can be life threatening. Your statement sounded like you do not know what you are doing there.

Lol yes… This doesn’t concern balance leads or the battery at all in fact.

just cause you break “++” still means you connect + and - in that moment basically! the battery “+” side of the XT90S will be “+”, the other side “-”. when Im back home Ill check how I added the loop key into my setup. it would be such a relief to finally understand whats going on with these keys.

37 volts won’t kill me. Not to mention DC volts. I’m not new here. I work with these things on a daily basis. This just seems to be something that cannot be done with my present application.

Agreed. I’ve done shit many times more complicated than this little thing but it’s just throwing me off. So simple yet so annoying.

As I mentioned before. It the xt90s does work! I get a voltage reading and my wheels spin and all but it moves very slowly and if I exert it too much it melts. I get the same result regardless of polarity because as previously stated is a resistor which doesn’t concern polarity.

can you read live voltage monitor of the vesc when you rev the motor up? check how much the voltage sags, then try to brake the engine from full speed and check how much the voltage jumps up. you might have the exact same symptoms I have experienced.

the funktioning loop keys used smaller loops from one solid thick copper wire whereas we used highly flexible silicone wires with larger loops. maybe there is something to that?

What does exert too much mean? There is a 5.6Ohm resistor in there - At 42V there will be a current of 7.5A going through that little resistor which will heat up quickly. They are not made to hold that constantly but just for the initial connection. If you exert it too much and the current flows through the resistor constantly it will obviously melt.

Edit: Sorry I thought exert meant to pull the plug - just looked up the word and it means something different.

1 Like