Metasurf Direct Drive ?!

Haha, I’m not a complete nob after all.

2 Likes

Egypt is on the african continent. It just is. If you want to get technical I suppose you could say its the africa-eurasia but hell this a bit off topic now so I’m leaving it here. Just wanted to give @Skunk a bit of shit lol

1 Like

I just want to hear the Metasurf owner’s view on this, then I’m good. still on topic IMHO :smile:

1 Like

I have an Indian mate who goes all Sikh warrior on me when I jokingly call him an Asian. Getting into the realm of perception not geography. Hell I hate it when people call me an East ender when its obvious I’m from south London. Well it is to me lol

1 Like

Well I just sent more sets out earlier today with two day shipping including one to @longhairedboy, so they should arrive Monday or sooner. I’m also about to throw a set on my testbench so we can finally get some of our own real world performance data!

(trying to get the thread back on track :P)

4 Likes

Good time to quit then. Saves you money and time for more parts and builds.

1 Like

Well I did it real quick… these are… very interesting

IMG_4033

Does the motor resistance look high to anybody else?

IMG_4032

3 Likes

Yes, test ride soon I guess !?

It’s about 5 x less than the Maytech hub motor (Internal Resistance 0.557‐0.577)? Should be good and less heating. (a 130kv is about the alf, around 40/50mOmh for a 6374). Maybe I’m wrong… For this low kV it sounds legit, but I absolutely not the one who should/could talk about that … :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Skulls are 114, so not bad.

I don’t understand why there are so many haters in here? So many of you are wanting this to be a bust? Why can’t you just be optimistic and perhaps accept that there is a new product that is good performance at a fair price? The e skate market has come so far in a year, so why is this so hard to believe??

1 Like

because everything we know tells us otherwise

I want to believe, I really do. but after all the issues with raptor hangers, and having the input of all the amazing minds on the forums … Idk it seems like a fragile hope

5 Likes

100 mOhm is reasonable for a 63xx sized hub/direct motor. It’s consistent with the idea that winding resistance grows as (1/Kv)^2, since SK3 192 Kv motors are roughly 16 mOhm. Unfortunately, it means that if a 6374 system is safe to run at 75 A (or 2775 W), then one of these is good to about 12 A (or 444 W), as they will both produce equivalent heat at those currents.

Hub motors have challenging thermals, and as far as I can tell, there are very few guys that are deep enough in product development to be coming up with solutions to those challenges.

3 Likes

Because I have snapped a truck baseplate before. IMG_0454 That is all.

5 Likes

the only thing getting hated on is the deck design. It’s just not right for actual use. People pointing out that the axles are 8mm isnt hating. It’s a legitimate concern. Especially at the axle width.

7 Likes

:open_mouth: woooooooow

3 Likes

All I’m saying is that none of us have even seen it be tested. Sure that axle has failed in Carvon drives before, but until it’s tested than who knows. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a new direct drive competitor for a good price? I’m just saying I’d like to be optimistic about it until it’s proven. As per the deck… Yeah the longboard design is shot. The shortboard is okay. It’d be nice to see the drive be decent, who knows though.

1 Like

No it would be nice to have a good new direct drive competitior for a good price

3 Likes

I believe everyone here are supporting new competitor on the direct drive category. ppl are just concern about the 8mm axle, which has been shown as problematic in the past. Yes this metasurf DD need to be tested but the concept of 8mm axle snappiong is deep in everyone’s mind. So unless it has been tested and proven that it stayw together, everyone would prefer a thicker axle to get into the comfort zone. The possibility of the truck snapping at high speed is fearful enough for most of us not to endorse this new product immediately. Personally I am waiting for the test result and a new version with shorter axle before deciding if i wanted a pair. that axle is looooooooooooong man.

Also there was the misinformation about the axle made with aluminium alloy, which wouldnt have made sense at all.

Ive had an axle snap going 20mph+. Isn’t fun. Luckily ive got fast reflexes and the road happen to be empty. Otherwise i would have ran into 35mph traffic on what was normally a busy road. Carvons are on what version now? Hummie hubs? How long has TB direct drives been in development. None use 8mm at this point. There’s good reason.

3 Likes

dont lie we all know you ate sh**! :joy::rofl: jk