Micro USB for charging e-Board battery

Thx @PXSS for my part of it I was referring only to the connector, not the charger itself.

Thx @Maxid I’m doing my best to understand the thread you shared and the related commentary.

When I have to make choices about electronics, I think of it like this: would I bet my house on it?

Would you bet your house on this idea that the voltage rating can be disregarded for charging ports as long as the amperage is not exceeding the port’s threshold? I charge at 2A, so I think I’m good in this specific application.

define betting my house on it. The question is what bad can happen - and the answer to that (for the low voltages we use) is: It will be just fine. Just look at my Magsafe topic. Apple designed the plug for 20V - I use it with 41V now and it works just fine. 100kV will be a different story though.

1 Like

Lots of people are commenting about the “size of the wires” being too small for the “large amount of current” being used in charging batteries. Also some about voltage. Let me clarify based on what I know:

Yes, but it would be extremely slow. Yes those small cables would melt with so much current, but you can charge a battery with any current. The only thing that must be at the rating of the battery is voltage. So yes, you can charge a battery with very low current but it would take a long time. The next problem is the low voltage. You would nee to step up 5v to x voltage based on what size lipo you have. The big problem with this is your current would be even lower.

So to summarize: You would need an on board circuit on the board that

1. steps up voltage
  2. controls the lipo chargeing

Hope that helps!

Why do people keep talking about 5V - this thread was never about using the USB voltage to charge your board. It was meant to talk about the magnetic USB cable as charging cable - which should actually be fine at up to 4A and the voltage we use.

1 Like

How about with usb-c? My macbook charger can deliver 60w through the port!

Using these round magnet ports you can buy on alibaba

Anyone tried these?

diameter 38mm? Seems massive

Yeah, I did think that.

But the current capability of this plug seems to be super good:

Though it does look a bit pricy even though it might be for high power applications.

Is it possible to put those magcode connector on 42v charger 2A??