"Mini Remote" Thumb Drive

This mod let’s you use the bulletproof internals of the legendary mini remote but in a thumb driven configuration. The mod only requires a few 3D printed parts and a few fasteners. Everything else can be taken from the donor remote.

Disclaimers:

• This mod has not been thoroughly tested yet. Use at your own risk.
  • Depending on your 3D printer’s capabilities the parts might or might not fit together properly.
  • Soldering is required.
  • This remote is not small. I advice to first print the parts and check if you are OK with the size.

That being said the parts I printed fit together perfectly and the remote feels ergonomic in my hand. Also it seems to work just fine with some initial testing. I have designed and printed over 10 prototypes and finally I’m happy to share the results.

Thingiverse link for the STLs:

Please notice that there are two different versions of the “case_right”. The case_right_insert.stl utilizes an M3 brass insert for the battery lid screw and the other one (case_right_hexnut.stl) a regular M3 nut.

You can see the brass insert used in the instructions below. These inserts are very cheap and can be purchased e.g. from here.

There are also three different options of the throttle wheel to choose from:

throttle_wheel throttle_wheel_old_design throttle_wheel_large-tolerance

Try the “throttle_wheel” first. If it doesn’t fit on top of the potentiometer then you can try the “throttle_wheel_large-tolerance”. This might be needed if you use a larger nozzle on your printer. The “throttle_wheel_old_design” just has a different grip compared to the other two.

Instructions:

You’ll need a soldering iron, one 10-12 mm long M3 bolt and either an M3 brass insert or an M3 nut. Other parts can be printed and harvested from the mini remote.

Print all the parts and check that everything fits. The “case_right” needs to be printed with support for the battery lid cutout. Other parts don’t need supports.

This would be a good time to sand and paint the parts.

Check which holes should be through holes. To ease the printing process I left a layer or two of material inside of some holes. You’ll need to file them out but you should not have to enlarge the hole diameters. In total there should be six: Five in the “case_left” and one in the “case_right” for the battery lid screw. A few examples are highlighted in the picture below.

If you use a brass insert to hold the battery lid screw, you’ll need to heat it up (with a lighter for example) and insert it to the case like in the picture below. Make sure that the M3 bolt goes all the way through the hole after this.

Next you’ll need to remove the potentiometer assembly, PCB and battery contacts from the mini remote. At least the battery contacts need to be desoldered in order to be removed. I advise to desolder the potentiometer wires as well and solder them back facing the other direction. This helps mounting the potentiometer to the new case.

You also need to cut out the tab on the bottom battery contact (but only on this one!):

Start mounting parts to the left case. I used a few drops of hot glue to mount the PCB and wires in place. Make sure the wires don’t interfere with any moving parts and that the polarity on the batteries/contacts is correct!

I used some grease on all joints and moving surfaces.

Using screws from the mini remote mount the two cases together. Check that the on/off switch moves as it should.

Insert batteries, attach a lanyard and put some adhesive foam on the inside of the battery lid to help with rattles.

Lastly, don’t forget to re-calibrate the remote on the VESC tool!!!

Enjoy :slight_smile:

33 Likes

Nice! What were your print setting on this?

I have a 0.6 mm nozzle on my printer, layer height 0.28 mm, 3 perimeters and maybe 40-50% infill. It’s quite crude. Filament is Extrudr red PETG, prints very well but bad for the camera :smiley: 220 degC did the job on the E3D Volcano.

When I have the time I will properly sand the parts and paint them.

Cool. Thanks.

There doesn’t seem to be much interest in this but nevertheless I though to post some updates.

Most important one that I forgot to include in the original post: The logic of the remote is inverted to what some of you might gotten used to, i.e. accelerate is “down” and brake is “up”. logic

Thanks to the cold northern winter, I haven’t been able to test this remote more than a couple of times so far. But the times that I did, it worked perfectly. However I did not like the grip of the throttle wheel. So I drew up a different design which I like much more:

20181207_201706

I printed this new wheel with a smaller nozzle and better resolution than the other parts. That’s where I noticed a problem. I have designed the tolerances of the holes etc. so that they work with the parts that my big nozzle printer produces.

This means that for small nozzle and high resolution prints many of the tolerances are too big! For example in this case, the throttle wheel had quite a bit of backlash on the potentiometer, which is not good.

I will go through the design and upload a second set of STLs with smaller tolerances for those who use max. 0.4 mm nozzle (on an accurate FDM printer).

Edit: Fixed files have been uploaded.

7 Likes

This is good stuff man, I might do this mod as I have a mini which is super reliable but the trigger design is kind of a loose cannon.

1 Like

I’m really impressed with this project. I remember reading this thread when you first posted it, I even made a bookmark so I could back and re-read it but totally forgot. This is actually something I’ve been looking for for a long time. I’ve even spent time making a model myself, just haven’t had time to finish it.

Would you mind if I remixed your model a little? It would save me a ton of time finishing mine up.

4 Likes

Of course! I can send you the step files if you want.

1 Like

That would be great. I want to make the top nose a little longer to include a finger slot and add some finger grips to the front. Essentially the same shape as the benchwheel remote with finger grips like the nano-x.

3 Likes

I have noticed a problem in the right side case which causes some minor alignment issues with the throttle wheel. I’m working on fixing it and will upload new files with correct tolerances to Thingiverse soon.

3 Likes

The files have now been updated and uploaded to Thingiverse. If you downloaded and/or printed the files before today, I recommend to discard them and use the newest versions instead. Only the battery lid remained unchanged.

There are now three different options of the throttle wheel to choose from:

throttle_wheel throttle_wheel_old_design throttle_wheel_large-tolerance

Try the “throttle_wheel” first. If it doesn’t fit on top of the potentiometer then you can try the “throttle_wheel_large-tolerance”. This might be needed if you use a larger nozzle on your printer. The “throttle_wheel_old_design” just has a different grip compared to the other two.

You also need to choose one of the two options for right side case:

case_right_insert case_right_hexnut

Make your decision based on which kind of a nut you want to use for the battery lid screw, a brass insert or a regular nut. The hexnut version has now been tested as well and works nicely:

I recommend either gluing or melting the nut to place just to be sure.

7 Likes

‎ Following

1 Like

This is great! Awesome job, I’m going to print this soon, maybe next week, I was full of the mini remote being to big on the pocket and the thumb drive looks much better too! Thanks so much!

2 Likes

I hope you try the mod and like it, but I have to warn you that this is only marginally smaller than the original remote.

If you really are after a smaller alternative, I’d suggest to try @nuttyjeff’s Avio remote. It’s still a trigger style remote though.

1 Like

Do you want to upload your version?

Haven’t had time to do anything yet.

Gotcha. The mini remote seems to be the best deal, so turning it into an even better deal would be awesome

Great design, nice job. i would like to make a version that takes a lipo. Is it possible to send me the step files?

Sure, shoot me a pm.

Hey man,

I’ve just finished one for trigger style.

I also want to check what you ended up with the trigger assembly.image

2 Likes