Modular All Terrain Gear Drive

Features

Module 2 Straight Tooth Spur Gear Precision Milled Gears for production. The wheel gear will house a 6006 bearing and will be made from POM or nylon , have not decided which material is best. And the motor gear will likely be made from Stainless Steel Options to change gear ratios - 4.4, 4, 3.7 Rotary Encoder - Similar to what Jenso has done :slight_smile:

Prototypes on the way :slight_smile: and being tested by a few people

• @mmaner for Surfrodz RKP or TKP
  • @Grozniy for Lacroix - designed to replace the Lacroix drive system entirely; a conversion from belt drive to gear drive
  • @Andy87 for Trampa

Designed to fit the following wheels

MBS Rockstar - and other wheels with the same bolt pattern Trampa Superstar - and other wheels with the same bolt pattern Sixshooters Haggy wheels Moon MK16 Hubs

Designed to fit the following trucks

MBS Matrix II Trampa Vertigo/Infinity Surfrodz RKP TKP

IMG_20190205_180307 IMG_20190205_173303 IMG_20190205_180105 IMG_20190218_151205 IMG_20190218_151228 IMG_20190218_151304 IMG_20190218_151357_BURST2 IMG_20190218_164229 IMG_20190218_164319 IMG_20190218_164444 Render

36 Likes

Modular gear drive is something that been yet to hit the scene afaik. Really excited for this!

2 Likes

But at what price?? :sunglasses:

Price is not confirmed, definitely a very competitive base price but add ons for people who want the rotary encoder :slight_smile:

At the start it will only be for a select number of trucks:

Surfrodz TKP Surfrodz RKP 200mm Trampa Vertigo/Infinity - lowest priority of this list MBS Matrix II

More will be added

5 Likes

This looks like it will be really cool! Do you think your kit will have a way of using haggy wheels with the matrix 2 trucks? Iโ€™m guessing not (because of axle size) but figured it couldnโ€™t hurt to ask.

I think its possible. I will have @Grozniy test that out since he has that setup :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cool, Iโ€™m sure you have a lot of testing and finalizing to do but if all goes well when do you think you would be in production and ready to take orders? Thanks

Tuesday

174966a

12 Likes

I donโ€™t want to take any orders until there is a finished product

But I will keep it updated

Probably 1 more stage of changes and then it could be ready :slight_smile:

1 Like

Finally :pray: I think the fact that you can use one gear drive with different trucks and hubs was missing long time here. No need to spend an arm and a leg if you decide to swap out some components on your board. Really hope you get the AS5047 Encoder integrated in your gear drive. The encoder seems to bring a lot more control over start up traction. Next level :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and should be standard for all e-mtb in my opinion. Unfortunately I see it way too less used here.

6 Likes

Is this going to be targeted towards mountain use or on/off use? 4.4 gear ratio is too tall for 200mm tyres if you have proper hills, especially off road.

The one for prototyping is 3.7 :slight_smile:

4.4 is there for an option, its possible and its there if someone wants it

Well, 3.7 is even taller so my question remains.

Oh, thats what you mean by taller, I will have to experiment and ask a few others opinions

1 Like

I think it also depends on your motor kV. 130-150kV with 4.4 gearing should bring you already pretty good torque.

2 Likes

130KV Maytechs from OKP would work well

1 Like

any pictures?

Soon. I have 3D printed ones, but late next week I will have the prototype so I will just keep you waiting :rofl:

2 Likes

Depends on the hills. Where I live 5.0 gearing and 140-150kv can barely cope.

2 Likes

Oh ha, seems really hilly :sweat_smile: a bit jealous now :pensive:

2 Likes