Modular enclosure for flex decks - HELP WANTED

THE GOAL: Im trying to come up with a design for easy to make, reliable, waterproof, modular enclosures that could fit many deck types. Not everyone has access to large vacuum forming equipment, large format cnc’s or space to work with fibreglass. I hope that smaller modular enclosures would be easier to diy at home or be made by the community and shipped to others. The idea here is to make customised modules for different hardware where each module is sealed and waterproof and ideally easy to modify or swap out.

WHERE IM AT: My current board has a cnc’d enclosure built for dual focbox, bestech bms and spaces for receivers and Bluetooth.

This is a work in progress but the plan is that an enclosure like this makes diy super easy, you just need to make a separate battery pack and your good to go. All your expensive / dangerous electronics are kept safe and dry.

WHERE I NEED HELP: I have encountered a few problems so far that i would like help to find solutions to.

The main problem that im having is connecting segments together. I would like individual segments to remain waterproof. It seems that this is not an easy challenge with high gauge cables that are not that flexible. I have considered using metal bars between the segments to secure segments and also carry current however this does not seem super safe. Also bms needs many smaller connections however these must remain reliable for good balancing over lifetime.

Also mounting to a flexy deck seems difficult. Solid mounting segments means flex may cause separation of segments under load. How can we keep electrical connections reliable under this scenario? if you accept that you need direct connections between segments to keep things waterproof then how do you stop stress on cables?

I would like to get to something that looks like this:

and is also fully waterproof. Im not sure how achievable this is, its been driving me crazy trying to think of solutions.

Any ideas about reliable connections between modules or how to deal with flex movement?

3 Likes

One ideia I plan to use when I make a mountainboard is to use rubber sheet (probably old bicycle tube) between the segments, this way you don’t loose space between each module and solve the connection issue, just use a flexible battery

Something like this:

The rubber would run all the way around and make contact with the deck, this way you can be sure that it’s water proof

2 Likes

How would you be able to make sure that the rubber stays connected to the enclosure without separating over time? I had considered moulding joining pieces between segments out of silicon or rubber however this doesn’t seem easy to get right and jeep the joints waterproof

also wondered if you could make the joints as a rubber “over mould” . basically joining 2 segments with a rubber part where there sealed in whilst moulding.

I would just glue, probably using contact comment, but I agree that it would need careful application to not make a mess, also the thickness of the rubber would need to be testes, too thin anything can pierce, too thick and it would interfere with the flex and put a lot of stress on the glue

over molding would look good, but you loose the modularity of the system

Just a more complete sketch of what I have in mind

3 Likes

@ducktaperules @Pedrodemio Nice work! Nice sketches. The rubber seals look nice in theory but I think they’d function better internally. If you must: Automotive suppliers offer H-shaped rubber seals for car windows etc that may work.

Re: ‘help wanted’…

In case you’re interested: I offer something similar…

This was posted on May 29 and have been working on it since Dec / Jan:

Demo___ Modular Battery Enclosure 1

1 Like