More Evolve Bad Customer Service

They can be swapped so they are not paired just the UART communication is missing. As long as we can fake that it could also work out.

1 Like

I thought evolve ran liions in their boards? Something like prismatic cells.

Sorry for off topic

Yeah they’re prismatic pouches…

That’s good, it’s not as problematic as it could be then. Looks like either spoofing the UART or modifying the firmware should work fine. Just needs someone with a working BMS to investigate :slight_smile:

it looks like evolve uk tech team is one person, maybe you should just go in there directly. i see alot of spare parts :sunglasses:

It’s not an “unlock handshake” it’s constantly transmitting the current battery level, which gets sent on to the remote. The problem comes in with their feature of automatically switching to ECO mode at 5% battery… if this UART connection is not made, it’s sending 0% battery life to be displayed on the remote, which causes the remote to automatically switch the ESC into ECO mode. It’s entirely possible the offending lines of code are actually in the remote, but fixing it here would still mean you had a broken board battery gauge. So really it’s the sending of current voltage via UART from BMS to ESC that needs to be emulated

So you can put ANY bms on it you want, and it will work — IN ECO MODE the whole time, which is 25% max power

3 Likes

Replace Evolves ESC with a couple VESCs and just get your own remote. Problem solved :wink:

1 Like

That is the best solution…

Seems like it wasn’t an intentional effort to prevent fitting a different BMS then. I would either make something to send voltage data to the ESC as normal or change the firmware so that the eco mode settings are the same as the normal settings in this case. Hopefully somebody sorts some solution

I suspect I could make a receiver for the original remote, but I don’t have one to hand so can’t say for sure. I assume they are 2.4GHz? I personally thought the travel on the throttle is too short on those remotes to be comfortable when I tried one, so maybe a replacement is an advantage.

Yes,the BMS are paired with ESC!Don’t swap them!I tried to swap my boosted v1 controller to another boosted v1 battery,didn’t work!then I swaped back,it won’t work anymore,boosted firmware are highly encrypted. IDK why evolve has to copycat that too since their software&controller are not that good to be copied,maybe they should put more attention to developing their software instead of encrypt it.

I really don’t think the BMS is paired with anything or encrypted to the ESC etc. I’ve made up 18650 packs before, using spare BMS’ and installed in to a BGT and all worked perfectly.

It literally is just a handshake between the ESC and BMS. It might even be the case that you could connect one or more of the wires together to fool it…:confused:

The ESC is not paired to the BMS, because I’ve changed it. To re-pair the remote to any Evole GT ESC in range, hold the left remote button down…

@mwkeefer Had posted on another topic about a module he had working to trick the esc. Any input?

1 Like

Duh, the force ECO mode upon 5% left battery is dumb as shit.

Riders need safety features foolproof and honest after sale services, not babysitting.

BTW Evolve can’t take direct actions against any individual modifying a board apart from breaking warranty and Evolve’s liability.

Once sold the customer buys all the ownership rights on it without reserve, apart from patent protections (which doesn’t concern us here) nothing can be done.

A clause forcing customer to keep coming back to the manufacturer with different consequences than warranty breaking or Evolve’s refusal to further take in charge the product for repair is anyway illegal and will easily be canceled if it goes in a court.

That’s basic property rights, how come they even think about threatening you.

How about they eat shit?

1 Like

I know, exactly what I said. You buy the board it’s yours to do with what you wish. You wanna strap a rocket to it, no one can stop you…

How much kv is that? Will my vesc fry?

I believe 20000kv! :wink:

Over 9000 !!