More Motor Options From HobbyKing?

Thanks for spending the time to call out bullshit like this, hope we saved someone some money with this post.

1 Like

The best way is to take the shaft out. Iā€™ve done it while everything is mounted on the board. Just bag up the motor and tape it up really well so as to not get metal shavings on the magnets.

Iā€™m not to keen on the idea of clamping the motor. It sounds like the #1 best way to warp the rotor.

I forgot to mention that Turnigy g160ā€™s come with a huge flat spot already on the motor shaft. Iā€™ve had a couple of other motors as well that came with flat spots.

And, Seriously, filing a frigginā€™ flat spot on a motor shaft? Itā€™s easy.

I have done all mine while in the motor. I just use a plastic bag and tape to stop any filings getting inside.

Oh and i use a pipe fitting vise to gently clamp the motor.

well gonna take the shaft out

Howā€™d it work out? Did you just end up buying a razor scooter instead? WAY less hassleā€¦in my opinion :laughing:

oooo0 major burn m8!

1 Like

No need to take the shaft out = waste of time.

Doesnā€™t need to be perfect. You just need a flat spot which doesnā€™t even need to be 100% accurate as a flat spot.

Itā€™s just so the set screw rests on a ā€œflat spotā€ and doesnā€™t back out or become undone.

Iā€™d also swap the bolts out for M3 or M4 bolts depending on your motor pulley. Usually 2 bolts works well.

2 Likes

actually I could just mount the outrunner on the included motor mount and clamp the mount

1 Like

I clamp the motor in a vice. They are all outrunners so clamping the motor clamps the shaft :smile:

I have vice jaw adapters that are rubber - so you donā€™t skuff the motor - and I dontā€™ clamp it up mega tight. Just enough to hold it firm. Canā€™t see the need to take the shaft out.

If you havenā€™t got a vice itā€™ll make life trickier - but if you are getting into this kind of DIY a vice is cheap and mega useful, and will last your life time :slight_smile: