Mosfet cooling idea

After building a couple Raspberry Pis for the house I thought of the heatsink and fans that I used to cool them.

Since there are mosfets on both ends it might make the VESC a little thick. Side mounting seems like the only logical option especially when keeping both fans in mind.

20180726_08442920180726_08452920180726_084459

2 Likes

You could also consider heat pipes routed to external fins somewhere outside your enclosure.

When I was working on my Focbox cooling solution I considered these and similar heatsinks but decided against it… Instead I decided to just cool the Focbox metal case since it already acts as a cooler.

For these standard vesc 4.12s though, I think these heatsinks are a good idea. Lots of clever ways to get them cool :sunglasses: that you could come up with.

You are cutting through the heatshrink and using some non conductive thermal adhesive/paste/pads though right?

1 Like

How about [this](HGLRC-Flipsky Black CNC Aluminium ESC Protective Case For VESC V4.12 BLDC Controller Rc Car Parts https://banggood.app.link/d3ZKb4f1RO) ?

1 Like

That seems like a great solution, probably cheaper than a bunch of little individual heatsinks too…

@Benjamin899 was this your comment? Screenshot_20180726-160525~2

yeah it was^^ sneaky you

1 Like

With which ESC you used it?

4.12 flipsky esc, but it does fit all as it has the same measurements. i forgot. it does have a little space still open, i realized that later, so its not a perfect fit, but a good one. i will just ad a bit of silicone to completly seal it off.

1 Like

Or you can Cnc metal everything, weld every gap, use Gasket maker where needed. and then Take a drive in water to cool off :smiley:

Oh oh, and Make a metal enclosure work as a heat sink.

1 Like

Yeah, the heatsinks have some thermal tape on them already. I will think i’ll attempt to cut just enough to make contact with the mosfets.

1 Like

I was thinking about that, but it’s $50 for a dual motor setup and i’d want to add additional cooking on the case, which would have increased the price a bit more (nor much, maybe $2 or so per case.)

The heatsinks were $1.25 each, and fans were $.75, so it’s only $18

That’s actually a really good point on the mounting capabilities. That alone might be a good enough reason. hmmm.

I have 2 of those coming in the mail for my other build, so that’s good to know. I think I will buy a couple of those cases now and make certain they are around in the future.

https://shop.3dservisas.eu/collections/cases/products/aluminium-case-ver-2-for-dual-vesc-v4-12-bldc-motor-controller?variant=4079669346331

That would have been cool.

I bought 4. lol, I think i’ll save my heatsinks and fans, and put them on the case instead.

1 Like