Motor braking parameters on maytech 200A vesc ONLY -15A?

The maytech vesc:

My specs: Samsung 30Q 10s4p, 6374 192kv turnigy motor and the maytech vesc

I got this vesc and after 2 weeks of use it broke. I do not know the problem and sent it back to maytech. There it was stopped by the import people, and I had to pay 70 $, so I got a good prize from maytech and got a new one. I thought my parameters I used were good, and when I got the new one I sent my parameters to maytech for them to check. Turns out my parameter on the -50 A engine brake was way too high and I should ONLY use -15 with my -12 battery regen. With this I have no braking force at all, but I can not understand why it must be so low? On the last vesc (focbox) I used -50 amps, and it never stopped. So I asked them and got this answer "Please check article below:

Motor Current Max Brake, should be generally set 10A higher than Battery Current Max Regen.

Battery Current Max Regen should be set according to 80% of the maximum charging current that the battery/battery protection board can absorb.

Is this really the case with all vesc or is the maytech’s vesc just that bad? If it is the case what would be the best parameters to use for braking? I was thinking -30 motor brake and -20 battery regen.

Thanks in advance!

@trampa always says the opposite of this. Turn battery regen up enough to make the brakes safe. In the end you would rather come to a stop in an emergency at your batteries expense, rather then baby the battery and not stop in time. For linear brakes make the motor regen and battery regen the same, for more braking at low speeds and less at high speeds keep the motor regen above the battery regen.

Sounds like maytechs design might be flawed, or you were just braking at full charge which can overvolt the system.

I did exeed the parameters cause for sure that could not brake the esc. About 15km om the ride it broke. I am not sure if that was the cause, but it was a strange timing.I totally agree with you about the parameters for battert regen and motor brake. I ended with a trampa vesc and it has been working like a steam. So my take on the maytech vesc is that it is garbage and has something seriously wrong with it. Maytech knows about the issue and tries to hide it with incorrect information and facts.

1 Like