Motor Can Coming Loose?

I think you could write to them showing the problem and asking for a replacement can. Safest option!

I think these motors have a single washer before the circlip?

You got any pics?

I had the problem with a APS motor (which also had a single washer between circlip and bearing), the groove for the circlip was too big that’s why the can and shaft could move outwards like 0.5-1mm. First I pushed the can in the inside position then added washers and pushed the pulley against it when mounting, no more play.

This is how my actual motors for MTB look like, the first 1-2 washers should be small skate shim spacers (8 or 10mm), the remaining washers can be any kind of washer (depending on motor mount).

2 Likes

That should be a (DIN 471 external circlip) 10mm

1 Like

Nice spud with a land wheel drive. How does it ride?

Scary. I don’t know how any of you can build a fast board with the Spud. After riding to the office with the long and wide Hummie build, the Spud felt so tiny.

The Landwheel isn’t bad but the hub urethane is starting to chunk.

1 Like

Mine actually goes only 40km and I feel stable with it. Of coourse longer board are more stable.

Which motor Brand is it ?

No idea who makes them, but these were sold by @scepterr as “Dark Matters”

ok thank you.

…Maytech has a little nipple at the end of motor where you have access to the Grub screw

…Sk3 have 2 grub screws at the end.

Hey bro. I fixed my loose can issue, it was the c-clip that came loose on the motor shaft. Don’t know if this was your issue with your loose motor but figured I can share :grin:

My circlip was fine. I added a washer behind it and it stopped the movement. BUT because the washer has a large outer diameter it pushed up against the mount. I’m waiting for a proper 10mm washer that would fit and should solve the issue

1 Like

Well after “fixing” it twice by applying new loctite and torquing down the grub/set screw, it looks like I’ll have to take the (learn to) motor apart and dremel the shaft?

I was going to check out the trail today and noticed the shaft move out at mile 4, so I decided to turn back around. Thought I was gonna eat it.

@JLabs this answers your question :unamused: when are those motors coming it!?

@scepterr any assistance from you since you got these? I would love to get a replacement from the manufacturer becuase this is defective! Rather not open it up.

1 Like

maybe you could try using 638 loctite. That and boring through the hardened axle fixed mine…

@Mikenopolis I have the same motors ( from a different vendor) and my shafts keep slipping too. No amount of lock tight seems to fix it. Imo the grub screws that are used are too small to tighten down sufficiently. I ended up knocking the shaft out, re drilling and tapping the grub screws to a larger size then re fitting the shaft.

1 Like

Also one of my motors seems to have developed bad vibration at one particular frequency, I’m sure it’s a balance issue with the motor bell. I would love to know where I could by a replacement shaft and bell.

I’m think of pulling out the shaft and drilling a dimple on the shaft so the grub screw has something to hold on to. What I’m afraid of is the grub screw being bent…well I guess that really locks it up then.

I have no idea where to get replacement cans and shaft. I assume you have to figure out the Chinese manufacturer and ask them directly. I actually ordered two other motors so I’ll probably swap them so I won’t have down time while figuring out the repair

1 Like

Same thing is happening to me… pretty frustrating