Motor cogging on startup with load

@torqueboards It was hard to see in the video, but when accelerating, I could feel the motor trying to move. It couldn’t move because I put some pressure on the wheel. Don’t know if that’s just how it has to be and there is no problems in foc. I will try later to run it in foc and stand on to see if it actually works (should probably had done that instead of just grabbing the wheel). Just don’t know how good I feel about running in foc mode if it turns out it works.

And yes, the motor is cogging at start-up in BLDC mode.

BLDC always has cogging if you’re trying from a standstill. Try sensored FOC. It gives the best standstill-startup.

Your gearing is also very steep. Are you going for very high topspeed? If not you could try to reduce it by at least 1 tooth, maybe two.

I’ve had 12S 190KV and my gearing was 15/36. I’ve reduced it to 12/36 to match the stopspeed i wanted. It gave me so much more torque, really a big difference.

1 Like

Also when you’re running BLDC Sensored? I will try FOC but I don’t feel that safe using it. I’ve heard a lot of people having trouble with FOC mode on the TB vesc and then on the other hand, I have heard a lot of people using FOC mode on the TB vesc without any problems.

There is two things I don’t understand in the esk8 and sk8 world. 1. Bushings 2. Gearing Why would it help on the cogging if I got more torque? Which gear should I reduce (wheel or motor pulley)?

Sensors are for non skating pussies. All you need is a little hip flick to go smooth. From a complete standstill to crazy with just a small movement. Crack on!

4 Likes

Sensors are for people that like good startup, more efficient motors, and better low speed braking :unamused:

If you lower your motor gear it will make it easier for your motor to propell you. Fill in all your specs on this website and see what it does for you http://calc.esk8.it/ It doesnt show torque, but if your max speed is close to what you’d want it to be, your torque will be fine.

Remember this rule: Torque and speed are related. More topspeed = less torque, less topspeed = more torque.

For your startup issues you’d want more torque

1 Like

I think you’re probably just not use to it or not giving it enough throttle. You get a bit of cogging but it’s pretty minimal. You can always set it up in FOC if that’s something that you prefer. Just make sure to watch a few videos on how to setup in FOC.

1 Like

Were you able to fix it @legend27?

1 Like

Unfortunately no. But I have neither not tried the last recommend solutions. I will try again when I get done with my board. Right now it’s completely disassembled. Will update when I try again :slight_smile:

1 Like