Motor detection fails - *measure flux linkage* - Conclusion phase wire shorrted

Luckily no fault codes

How am I supposed to measure the resistance? I have to cut the wires?

No. Just set your multimeter to ohm. Tha measure from bullet connector to bullet connector

That for all three combinations of cables

found it @andy87

damn what now 15458296888949025679972401770035

1 Like

how old is the motor? if you ordered the motor directly form APS you can just sent bruno a mail. very likely they will just replace it if itĀ“s not too old motor.

donĀ“t do any detection again as long as there is a short. you could fry your vesx with it.

Got it second hand. No idea how old it is tbhā€¦

Any chance I could repair this myself?

1 Like

you can try to get some heat shrink over the phase wire. if that works it would be the most easy way. if not, you can cover the broken part with epoxy. or take off the top part and solder a new phase wire on.

how ever, do the test i linked before you connect the motor to the vesc after you fixed the damaged part.

But the result of the first 2 solutions named in your post above leave the battery with 2 phase wires left?

I donĀ“t understand what you mean.

just cover the damaged isolation with heat shrinkā€¦ if thatĀ“s not possible you can cover tha part with is damaged with epoxy to isolate the phase wire again. if you do so, than take care that no epoxy comes into the motor and the bearings. best way is to take off the bell and cover the suroundings with tape and than fill up the area where the cables come out with epoxy. to make sure the short is gone after, you should check the phase wire with the multimeter before you connect the motor to the esc.

Iā€™ll first check if it is really shorted

Uploadingā€¦

I donā€™t know if you can see it very clearly but almost all the wires are torn apart, not just the insulation

1 Like

Pictures still uploading. You uploading a movie? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

IMG_20181226_145239

not the best pic but from what I can see here only is one the insulation is still intact

1 Like

Thatā€™s the part where the phase wire is soldered to your silicon wire. The only good way to fix this is to solder on new wires. As min thats the only option i know in this case.

if I would solder the wires back to each other do you think it will work? do I really need new wires?

1 Like

Nu i canā€™t see everything so good as you, but mir me it looks like as min on the middle phase wire already more than half of the wire off. So sooner or later it will rip off totally and at the moment you would push all amps over a smaller diameter than the other phases.

To solder a new wire on the phase and isolate everything again should fix it, but itā€™s definitely not an easy thing. Not sure if I would do it with mine or just buy a new motor.

I guess Iā€™ll just give it a try and if it doesnā€™t work out Iā€™ve learned something new!

thank you for the advice @andy87 @dareno

awesome community! I <3

edit: all of the wire is off I think, or maybe 1/10 is left :wink:

2 Likes

Check YouTube, maybe you can find some tutorials how to do it best. Donā€™t forget to make a documentation about it and post it here. If you done it successfully it could help other people in future too :wink:

3 Likes