Motor Pulley Mod

This is my first time building an E Board and I came on to a problem, the pulley that I got for my board has a 10mm hole and the motors that I bought have a 8mm shaft so after trying to buy for the second time a new pulley, the site that i tried to order the pulley never shiped it to me and after the second atempt I decided that I would fix the problem myself and save some money in the process

Lets start

First the problem 20190506_225525 20190506_225540

Has you can see the pulley is too big for the motor so I had to come up with a solution

And here it is

After a trip to the shop I bought this 20190508_163301 A stainless steel pipe with and outer diameter of 10mm and a inner diameter of 8mm

The step back

The pipe is a bit to big for the hole

20190508_163839

After a bit of filing, I was able to make the tube enter very snuggly and I had to use a vise to force the tube in 20190506_225614 20190506_225656

But there is still the problem of the screw holes for the mounting screws

So after a drill the holes with a 3mm drillbit I had to go again to the store to buy to buy some 4mm tapping holes tips and hand tap the holes " didn’t have any 4mm tips" 20190508_163500 20190507_185809

After a bit of filing to clean the holes

Success! It all fits together! 20190506_225727 20190507_193308

Give me your opinion on what you think of this mod Hope you guys like it

5 Likes

You didn’t really explain what you are doing with the rod but it looks like you are going to replace the motor shaft with it? If so just order a pulley that fits your motor shaft, it will save you a lot of time and effort and might keep you from breaking your motor

1 Like

No he has a motor with 8mm shaft and a pulley with 10mm bore. Hes using the pipe as a adaptor.

2 Likes

No key way in the pulley right? Use red loctite on both the pipe and shaft. Remember to drill 1 or 2 holes in the pipe for the set crews.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I did, my pulleys don’t have a key way but they have two screw holes and I already got the loctite, when i finish my build I will post it, do you think it will hold?

2 Likes

Yeah of you let the glue cure for at least 24h you’re golden

1 Like

I’d just get some steel motor pulleys from @marcmt88

If it works it ain’t stupid. I would suggest you get pullies with an 8mm boar, as you will likely have balance issues but I bet they wont be bad and it’ll likely work forever. Good job.

2 Likes

I’ve done exactly this and used the setup for over 1000km. There won’t be any balancing issue if there’s no gap between the shaft and adaptor.

1 Like

This is pretty common in robotics, I use it for 6mm to 3/8" all the time and it never failed

My aluminium motor pulley wear out after 100km. I will not advice use red loctite with it )

1 Like

I have done this before with 6mm shaft and 8mm pulleys. I just drilled and tapped the pipe and added a longer grub screw to go through both. It works great. 1 drop of loctite for it and it was permanant

great post… I was wondering the same thing… it looks like Loctite is a must for all E-builds and on every screw… good to know

Hi Duarte, I believe you live in Portugal and are Portuguese. Well, i use to live in the US, but now i live in Portugal also. I’m also building a Trampa based e-MTB. Just finished building a twin jet surfboard. It is great to know there is people near by that enjoy making the same stuff. My email is [email protected] It would be nice to exchange knowledge.

Greeting