Motor Review Thread

1. magnet problems
  2. shaft problems
  3. overheating (current limits set too high?)
  4. bearing quality
  5. waterproofing (sensored only)

Good list of qualities to look for, but unfortunately there are challenges. With 1, 2, and 4, there is little that the buyer can do to identify motors that will exhibit these issues. With 3, it is likely user misuse, excessively high motor currents set in VESC configurations because retailers are not properly communicating that lower Kv motors have lower current limits. 5 is a valid concern, and easy to check as well, but probably relatively minor in terms of significance.

So in the end we’re still left with mostly hearsay and sporadic reports of motor failure. I can’t say with confidence whether an SK3 or a Maytech has stronger magnets, better retaining epoxy, or higher quality bearings.

1 Like

Theres a lot of individual threads for most motors.

overheating will cause problems if the insulation grading is insufficient, which could cause a short in the windings and a burnt out motor… (and esc?)

with higher insulation temp rating you won’t get those same issues, although the heat might be bad for the magnets.

I would add - too soft material causing threads to strip… some motors are far worse than others

1 Like

I think that really highlights the need of such a thread. If we’re able to learn from each others mistakes (our bad purchases), we can identify the diamonds in the rough

But didnt you change out all the bearings and then didnt you have to reglue the magnets in one of the sets? Like for you that may not be a big deal, but i think that when we order a “quality” product, we should get good stuff, and not have to go through that hassle. maybe im wrong though, feel free to educate me

I agree, there’s a lot of value to this kind of discussion. We just have to be careful to collect data in a way that isn’t going to be overly afflicted by things like confirmation bias. How do we figure out what the actual failure rates are like for all these different motors, when tons of people use them without problems, and a few people encounter issues and post about it?

1 Like

I really like the Keda motors, I have had 4 of them all of which have worked flawlessly. I’m not going to say they compete with larger motors because they probably don’t but for the price they are great. The only downside I have found so far is the lack of silicone wires, and maybe hall sensors

2 Likes

Failure rate needs to be defined more.

Some people travel 100miles a week and others dont even come close to that over the course of a month

And some people ride everyday regardless of weather

1 Like

How are the bkb motors? Thinking about getting some of those for next build

Same as SK3 but has all the upgrades

Keyway and sensor and silicone wires. Still long asf (86mm i think)

A very valid point. I think that given the size of the community, we should (over time) be able to see clear results negating outliers of bias or false facts. That and time. Giving a central hub to post about issues encountered will allow for new users to know what to stay away from, and allow seasoned veterans to get an idea of what causes failure. Could even be an appropriate feedback hub for any company that wants feedback. Who knows.

1 Like

I had the sk3 motors for a while but they all crapped out…they have a really stiff gold wire, is that copper? I thought silicoln was the silver fexible wire

they have two different models… the smaller ones look like the flipsky motors - doesn’t mean it’s the same motor though.

To be on topic here’s my experience with some motors:

Torqueboards: One arrived damaged on arrival, never got it sorted out ended up buying some used that ended up failing due to premature bearing failure. (Both 6374 and smaller)

Maytech / Eskating.EU / Unikboards: Had a pair of 6374 of the glossy ones from Maytech rebranded by Eskating, really good quality, never had an issue and really nicely put together only thing is they look bad really fast.

Flipsky:

Really good experience with their 6354s, I have 4 in total two of the ones with 2 and two with 4 holes the 2 hole models seems really good ive put 300 - 350km on a pair so far and no issues what so ever but the 4 hole model did have an issue with one of them very quickly after I installed it, it would rattle and make strange sounds it but I was offered a new one to replace it so that’s on the way the other one from that batch has so far done 40km rides just fine.

1 Like

I’m one of those, ride everyday regardless of weather… I have ridden in the rain with TB motors numerous times w/ no issues, the enclosure for the battery was a pelican case and all the holes were sealed with jb-weld and silicone on top of the cured jb-weld

1 Like

Has anyone used @dickyho motors? I have one of his 6374 motors and it’s not bad. This is my first board though so I don’t have anything to reference. Complaints so far-

• wires are only 16gauge. Seems really thin.
  • sensor connector doesn’t plug in directly to TB VESC. Connector is too small.
  • not actually 74 long, more like 70mm

I’ll definitely be riding it year round and testing the water resistance.

do wires get hot at all?

Been using TB 6355 and 6374 they have been powerful and reliable motors.

Better than all the rest. Expensive.

2 Likes