Motorized Skates Before Our Time - Hilarious

As a noob I have very little knowledge to contribute to this group and yet I reap a lot of benifit from the eSk8 community. Just wanted to share some hilarious pics I saw of motorized skates before out time. Enjoy :nerd_face:

22 Likes

Apparently the board in the second picture is still alive and on sale on ebay for ~$400. I remember a listing for it but didnt give it much thought

1 Like

Wow for real?! Must have been some bright minds coming up with that shit back in the day. They didn’t even have the internet like us to swap ideas!

I dunno… its not Rocket surgery to strap a motor onto a wheel. people been doing that for a long time. its just the miniaturisation of components and the affordability that has made it more common place lately.

2 Likes

Sure, you’re right and it’s obviously easy enough that people even thought of it back then. But, I like historic pictures such as these to see how technology has changed. And it’s interesting to see that affordability and availability didn’t hinder people like this to make the dream come true.

2 Likes

Nice post! That’s some old, old, incredibly old school technology. Still probably lighter than some of the more recent lead acid battery boards though. I’m just glad we don’t have get our boards smogged and registered.

Good to see that at least one thing hasn’t changed. Riding these things at only 16.6mph still feels like your “hauling the mail”. :laughing: It cracks me up that the mailman was used as a basis for high speed comparisons. Lol

Nifty keeno!

1 Like

Where i live, that’s because they’re still illegal! As they probably still are in a lot of places.

No small part of the fun is being an outlaw. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Right?! The guy getting his gas put into his tank for his motorized skates probably looked futuristic and modern at one point. But, to us it looks real dangerous, LOL. Man, I could only imagine getting my board smogged let alone registered!

1 Like

Dang, I didn’t know esk8 boards were illegal anywhere. Let’s hope that Nevada doesn’t pick up on your goofy laws. Thanks for chiming in :slight_smile:

#TRUTH

…

1 Like

:joy: And a little :fearful: could you imagine getting a pant leg stuck in one of those chains? You’re literally straddling a foot high motor! Or getting burned!

1 Like

It’s more of a grey area than illegal here in Florida. They just don’t have any specific laws about them yet. They just fall into a weird category.

1 Like

Those boards could kill!

My favorite thread so far!

1 Like

It all started somewhere, right?! :joy:

Looks like ‘GoodYear’’ made skateboard wheels back then:

5 Likes

Living on the edge…Not afraid to die…

No helmet, no pads, no shirt, no shoes…No brains…LOL :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

1 Like

No worries.

2 Likes

Hahaha back then was a different time! Those were the days they thought throwing garbage out your window was okay! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hahaha good eye! :joy: Hey good year isn’t a bad brand. I wouldn’t mind seeing a longabord wheel by them.